• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"That country now has collapsed - politically, economically, monetarily ..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    TM's supporters expect it before Xmas if she wins so I assume you are hoping she doesn't?
    No, she gets my vote. We'll see.

I'm not a big fan of Blair but he talks sense when he says we should keep out Brexit options open.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36698055

Given those core to the Brexit campaign seem to have suddenly disappeared I have zero confidence we know what we're doing moving forward if we were to leave.
    Last edited by SuperZ; 6 July 2016, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
      I would have expected first rate contractors to vote Remain to take advantage of the vast opportunities in Europe.
      And they probably did, but very few of them are on this forum, if any.
      Instead, on here, we seem to have a bunch of third raters who weren't smart enough to realise that Brexit means far fewer jobs for everybody, particularly for the less educated and skilled.
      Why would I want to work in Europe when I get paid more here with fewer costs and less bother? And I would rather pay taxes in this country.

Migrants come here because of the higher pay and greater opportunity. I recruited a couple of EU in my last work.

I suspect it's only those not good enough to find work in the UK who are desperate enough to have to go to the EU.

Comment

Why would I want to work in Europe when I get paid more here with fewer costs and less bother? And I would rather pay taxes in this country.

Migrants come here because of the higher pay and greater opportunity. I recruited a couple of EU in my last work.

I suspect it's only those not good enough to find work in the UK who are desperate enough to have to go to the EU.
        You're wrong.
        You might need to broaden your horizons/improve your skillset to get the real wonga.

Comment

People go to work/contract in different countries in the EU to experience a different lifestyle. Or their partner is from an EU country and they are working out which one has the best lifestyle for both of them.

You forget rents and commuting costs in the UK are actually expensive for what you get.

Plus setting up a UK bank account is a hassle. All the EU workers I've been on site with have always had to get their bank account through their employer. When I needed a bank account when working abroad I just gave them my national ID number and from that they could confirm who I was etc. , there as in the UK you need a credit rating plus various pieces of ID.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

TM's supporters expect it before Xmas if she wins so I assume you are hoping she doesn't?
            They _say_ they expect it, and so does she. But it sounds like you're forgetting they are politicians!

Quite probably what they claim is just to try and reassure (or fool) Brexit Tory MPs, and she and her supporters hope and plan to do the opposite.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              People go to work/contract in different countries in the EU to experience a different lifestyle. Or their partner is from an EU country and they are working out which one has the best lifestyle for both of them.

You forget rents and commuting costs in the UK are actually expensive for what you get.

Plus setting up a UK bank account is a hassle. All the EU workers I've been on site with have always had to get their bank account through their employer. When I needed a bank account when working abroad I just gave them my national ID number and from that they could confirm who I was etc. , there as in the UK you need a credit rating plus various pieces of ID.
              Rents are expensive, but if you already own a house that isn't really a problem. Commuting costs are high, but tax deductible, under certain conditions. If you have a problem with bank accounts etc. go with HSBC - I had a chance of a well paid gig in Europe (paid in Euros) a few years back, and there was no problem getting an account opened in any of their EU locations. Sadly the gig didn't come off, but it took me less than an hour to have an account ready to go wherever I wanted it.
              And you don't need a credit rating for a bank account, you only need a credit rating for credit.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Rents are expensive, but if you already own a house that isn't really a problem. Commuting costs are high, but tax deductible, under certain conditions. If you have a problem with bank accounts etc. go with HSBC - I had a chance of a well paid gig in Europe (paid in Euros) a few years back, and there was no problem getting an account opened in any of their EU locations. Sadly the gig didn't come off, but it took me less than an hour to have an account ready to go wherever I wanted it.
                And you don't need a credit rating for a bank account, you only need a credit rating for credit.
                It's not so simple the other way round however much you say it is.

The majority of EU citizens don't own housing in the UK so have to rent.

And due to our lack of ID cards banks rely on passports, bills etc plus your credit rating to open an account even if you don't want an overdraft.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And due to our lack of ID cards banks rely on passports, bills etc plus your credit rating to open an account even if you don't want an overdraft.
                  Sorry, I was reading your post as "how difficult it is to work in another EU country", not specifically how difficult it is to work in the UK. I'd say the UK make it easier than most, the French for example insist on printing their endless forms in French only, whereas in the UK we print our forms in almost every language on the planet. If you didn't have an EU passport you wouldn't be here in the first place, so what's the problem? And if you have an EU passport plus a NI number, and proof of address, you can open a basic bank account to get started, with any of the major banks.
                  And if you want to know why rents are so expensive, might I direct you towards the concept of "supply and demand". More people wanting to live in the UK than housing available - I believe that's been discussed recently...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

WTF are you on about?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X