• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"That country now has collapsed - politically, economically, monetarily ..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    But even with the most optimistic scenario, in 5 years time , I don't expect the country to have the same status or wealth it had prior to this vote.
    You just don't "do" optimism................you curmudgeonly Mr-Glass-Half-Empty!!

We'll be fine.

Chillax!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I would have expected first rate contractors to vote Remain to take advantage of the vast opportunities in Europe.
      And they probably did, but very few of them are on this forum, if any.
      Instead, on here, we seem to have a bunch of third raters who weren't smart enough to realise that Brexit means far fewer jobs for everybody, particularly for the less educated and skilled.
      Why? If you are 1st rate you can go anywhere anyway. Might need a few more forms filling in for visa's etc but if you are that good, you will be in demand and your rate will be high enough for you not to worry. Plus if you are being paid in local currency you will be making a premium on the £'s slump at the moment too.

So if you are confident in your skills, and you are acting on a selfish basis you may well have voted Brexit anyway to take advantage of this.

Comment

I would have expected first rate contractors to vote Remain to take advantage of the vast opportunities in Europe.
        And they probably did, but very few of them are on this forum, if any.
        Instead, on here, we seem to have a bunch of third raters who weren't smart enough to realise that Brexit means far fewer jobs for everybody, particularly for the less educated and skilled.
        The less educated and lesser skilled jobs are being taken by European graduates forcing our own "lesser educated" down the skills ladder. if you bothered to take a look at the demographics of EU migration you would understand this.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Very few ICT and stem skilled workers come to the UK from EU countries
          It doesn't matter, the big corps will claim that their skills shortage have worsened, so they can bring in non-EU cheap labour

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
            Why? If you are 1st rate you can go anywhere anyway. Might need a few more forms filling in for visa's etc but if you are that good, you will be in demand and your rate will be high enough for you not to worry. Plus if you are being paid in local currency you will be making a premium on the £'s slump at the moment too.

So if you are confident in your skills, and you are acting on a selfish basis you may well have voted Brexit anyway to take advantage of this.
            Exactly. And because I wasn't voting on a selfish basis I voted Remain.

Comment

It doesn't matter, the big corps will claim that their skills shortage have worsened, so they can bring in non-EU cheap labour
              That is very true.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                The less educated and lesser skilled jobs are being taken by European graduates forcing our own "lesser educated" down the skills ladder. if you bothered to take a look at the demographics of EU migration you would understand this.
                I was talking about the less educated and skilled in our industry (although I'm not sure that the denizens of this forum are in "our" industry any more)
                As you said in an earlier post they weren't being threatened by EU competition, much more from non-EU.
                The loss of jobs on the bottom rung of the ladder in this industry will occur from the general hollowing out of the economy.
                There has never been one instance in history where protectionism led to greater wealth in the long run for the country practising it.
                Last edited by CretinWatcher; 6 July 2016, 08:59.

Comment

I was talking about the less educated and skilled in our industry (although I'm not sure that the denizens of this forum are in "our" industry any more)
                  As you said in an earlier post they weren't being threatened by EU competition, much more from non-EU.
                  The loss of jobs on the bottom rung of the ladder in this industry will occur from the general hollowing out of the economy.
                  There has never been one instance in history where protectionism led to greater wealth in the long run for the contry practising it.
                  fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    You just don't "do" optimism................
                    Nope. Don't do pessimism either.
                    Just realism based on analysis.

Comment

Nope. Don't do pessimism either.
                      Just realism based on analysis.
                      Well you do have a reputation for putting the "anal" in analysis.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X