• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else thinking of moving abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    So makes sense to move now to somewhere with better weather and a better health system while you still can.
    If it's so much better why not move regardless of Brexit?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Think it's 12 bars of gold to become a Swiss citizen.
      FTFY
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Was it living in CH that made you a twat or was that already present character trait?

Just asking, like.
        Is it not having a degree that made you have 2 massive chips on your shoulder or was that already a present character trait?

Just asking, like.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If it's so much better why not move regardless of Brexit?
          I quite like living in Surrey, but not forever.
          Was planning to move in 10 years or so, but that option may be gone then, or be much harder, who knows.
          Plus quite a lot of my contracts come from Euroland, will the UK ones dry up as businesses move - again who knows.
          I dunno, I would rather be part of a larger market than a closed smaller one.
          So that's why Brexit changes things for me, it's limiting.

Comment

Is it not having a degree that made you have 2 massive chips on your shoulder or was that already a present character trait?

Just asking, like.
            Chips?

I'm a Northerner working in Hampshire, that's enough to give anyone a chip or two.

Glad I got a bite from you though, softy!

Comment

^
              This.
              My tax position would be complicated since I would have British rental income and work income from another Euroland country. Not at all sure how that would work. Thats what I pay an accountant for, though
              So long as you are permanently resident in one country, the income from anywhere else is simply taxed in that country. There are people here working remotely for their employer in another country. They get paid gross and handle the deductions themselves - there's even a German word for doing this.

I work remotely for a UK based company through my GmbH. The GmbH pays no tax in the UK at all. It's all paid here.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Hehe! Seriously, how much money would one need to be allowed to live in Switzerland and eventually claim Swiss citizenship?
              You need to be able to support yourself and any dependants. It now takes 10 years of residency to apply for Swiss citizenship. The process usually takes 12 years. You will need a certificate for B1 level in local language (Standard German/French/Italian - depending on the language of the Canton). You will be interviewed by the worthies of your community (the town council), as that is where your citizenship will be based. Costs a ~4000CHF. In communities near cities, it's usually not a problem. In the villages in the mountains or in the central cantons, it can be a bit more difficult.

Since most of my income is CHF and I've been able to command quite high fees by Swiss standards, I don't find the cost of living too bad. Even effectively funding 6 adults at home - my wife, my three kids and one daughter-in-law.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We were planning on retiring to France in 2 or 3 years time. The missus and I voted leave because it was the right thing to do even though it meant we might well have stuffed our own plans.

We are currently "waiting to see what will happen".
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  We were planning on retiring to France in 2 or 3 years time. The missus and I voted leave because it was the right thing to do even though it meant we might well have stuffed our own plans.

We are currently "waiting to see what will happen".
                  Hope you'll tell all your new neighbours that you voted leave
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Chips?

I'm a Northerner working in Hampshire, that's enough to give anyone a chip or two.

Glad I got a bite from you though, softy!
                    Yeah keep being passive aggressive, that'll help your psychological condition.

Comment

Working...
                    X