• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green Taxes? What's the Problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not according to the numpty on TV this morning. According to him this is about England being a world leader in cutting carbon poisoning!

Mailman

Comment

Agree with Mailman. All this has ever been is a convenient way of attaching revenue collection to a moral banner. It matters not a jot what we do here in Blighty in isolation anyway. Most people here already do a fair amount simply as a result of the prohibitive cost of utilities.
      Besides, the world will continue to warm despite anything we do. It always has and it always will cyclically. Even our best efforts will simply amount to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.
      No, if World Governments REALLY want to address this issue they should jointly agree to force the big Oil Companies to ringfence ever increasing sums from their obscene profits to be spent on developing alternative power sources such as hydrogen engines. Like THAT will ever happen though! Wouldn't be fair I suppose.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
        No, if World Governments REALLY want to address this issue they should jointly agree to force the big Oil Companies to ringfence ever increasing sums from their obscene profits to be spent on developing alternative power sources such as hydrogen engines. Like THAT will ever happen though! Wouldn't be fair I suppose.
        Right on, comrade. Come the revolution obscene profiteerers will be the first against the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          Right on, comrade. Come the revolution obscene profiteerers will be the first against the wall.

I thought that was going to be the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation?
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            I thought that was going to be the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation?

Comment

Them too.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                Even our best efforts will simply amount to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Brilliant line. I'm going to quote that as my own...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  Brilliant line. I'm going to quote that as my own...

Mr Morton might get upset about that.

"The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (5th Ed. 1999), page 533, lists a
                  quotation from the Washington Post, 16 May 1976, by Rogers Morton,
                  American public relations officer: "I'm not going to rearrange the
                  furniture on the deck of the Titanic." The context, according to the
                  dictionary, was that Morton had lost five of the last six primaries as
                  President Ford's campaign manager."
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Totally against taxes of any kind but support them in one case: stupid w*ankers who drive SUVs in the city - nothing to do with global warming etc etc - it's just that they're ugly, clog up the streets and the people who drive them are thick as planks.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

We've heard this before.

What the **** is the definition of SUV?

Big? So is a people carrier, limo, van, lorry, bus or London cab.

4x4? So is a fecking Fiat Panda

Gas Guzzler? So is an American imported saloon car, big BMW or Audi, sports car etc

Ugly? So is a Skoda.

What's your point guru?

Comment

Working...
                      X