• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So I was speaking to an Italian recruitment agent yesterday.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Even I have the technical nous to look this up

he Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38 EC sets out the right of EEA nationals and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the EEA Member States. The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘The Regulations’) (as amended) transpose the Free Movement Directive into UK law. The Regulations describe the rights of EEA nationals and their family members to enter and reside in the UK.
    ah but as mentioned previously the UK is the only country that obeys the laws, everyone else ignores them and gets away with it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Try driving up to the channel tunnel port with a car full of semtex and see how obliged they are to let you in. Go on, I dare you.
      That's unrealistic. Semtex is hard to get hold of.

Try buying an AK-47 and driving from Brussels to Paris.

Comment

Even I have the technical nous to look this up

he Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38 EC sets out the right of EEA nationals and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the EEA Member States. The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (‘The Regulations’) (as amended) transpose the Free Movement Directive into UK law. The Regulations describe the rights of EEA nationals and their family members to enter and reside in the UK.
        Oh no! That means not only must we leave the EU, we'll have to leave the EEA. And that means the "Norway" solution is out.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          That's unrealistic. Semtex is hard to get hold of.

Try buying an AK-47 and driving from Brussels to Paris.
          Apparently the Dutch MI5 went into Amsterdam undercover and they had bought a loaded AK47 for a few hundred euros In the space of 45min.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            ah but as mentioned previously the UK is the only country that obeys the laws, everyone else ignores them and gets away with it.
            I wouldn't go as far as ignore but other countries do pick and choose who they let reside. Especially so when it comes to the collections of benefits. In the UK's case most migrants that do come from outside the UK anyway. Many Eastern EU citizens coming to the UK work, unlike their UK counterparts.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Apparently the Dutch MI5 went into Amsterdam undercover and they had bought a loaded AK47 for a few hundred euros In the space of 45min.
              15min in Yorkshire. Everyone and their mums is packin round here.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I wouldn't go as far as ignore but other countries do pick and choose who they let reside. Especially so when it comes to the collections of benefits. In the UK's case most migrants that do come from outside the UK anyway. Many Eastern EU citizens coming to the UK work, unlike their UK counterparts.
                That my be so but the Eastern European are not doing jobs we really need outsiders to do. They are making it easy for us to ignore our own unemployed.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

That my be so but the Eastern European are not doing jobs we really need outsiders to do. They are making it easy for us to ignore our own unemployed.
                  If that were true they'd not be here in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    If that were true they'd not be here in the first place.
                    Do Starbucks really need graduates? Do we need bus drivers for the North East when there are 10,000 unemployed qualified to do these jobs? Polish graduates are not competing or even trying to compete for the same jobs our graduates are applying for they are competing for jobs for which they are overqualified. Our own workers (I was talking to the woman on a minimum wage at the station newsagent and asked her why she had not tried to work for Starbucks. She said she had but no interview. I asked her if she was a graduate she was not.

Anecdote it may be but I invite you to ask any foreign worker in retail or anything else whether they are graduates and they will tell you they are.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Do Starbucks really need graduates? Do we need bus drivers for the North East when there are 10,000 unemployed qualified to do these jobs? Polish graduates are not competing or even trying to compete for the same jobs our graduates are applying for they are competing for jobs for which they are overqualified. Our own workers (I was talking to the woman on a minimum wage at the station newsagent and asked her why she had not tried to work for Starbucks. She said she had but no interview. I asked her if she was a graduate she was not.

Anecdote it may be but I invite you to ask any foreign worker in retail or anything else whether they are graduates and they will tell you they are.
                      I know an English gal that works here in a starbucks in Munich. I only found out when she sussed I was not a local.

Over to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X