• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excellent article by Liam Fox on EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liam Fox is a cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Liam Fox is a cretin.
      Yes comrade

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        So are you looking at the Swiss model or Norwegian model, or something different? If something different, how much will the UK have to pay the EU and what will the UK get in return in terms of benefits and obligations?
        No need. Brexit would precipitate the demise of the EU.

We would then be in a position to put together something like a kind of European Economic Community

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
          No need. Brexit would precipitate the demise of the EU.

We would then be in a position to put together something like a kind of European Economic Community
          Before the United Nations, there was the League of Nations.

A lean, fully democratic EU I would consider voting for.

Never going to happen though.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

A lean, fully democratic EU I would consider voting for
            Me too and many others probably. Unfortunately there is no semblance of democracy in the EU. Some say the EU is democratic as we have an elected European parliament but democracy is not just about voting, there has to be a process where those seeking to govern can reach out and communicate to all voters but that cannot happen in a huge community where there are many different languages and cultures. It is simply about each country voting for its own interests. Look how Eastern European nations defend the right for their citizens to work in the UK yet their governments are the most opposed to migrants entering their countries.

Not that the elected parliament really matters anyway, it is the unelected commission that makes the rules. This news item today sums it up:

The European Parliament has voted by an overwhelming majority to deny China the coveted prize of market economy status, warning that it would leave Europe’s battered industries vulnerable to a devastating flood of subsidized Chinese goods.
            MEPs voted by 546 to 28 against the proposal, uniting Left and Right in an outpouring of anger over cheap imports of Chinese steel.
            The vote is not binding...
            Last edited by xoggoth; 12 May 2016, 21:11.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Me too and many others probably.
              Damn right. Had Hamface achieved his promised "fundamental reform" from the Bloomberg speech, I would have grudgingly voted to Remain; afterall, it's a balance of costs and benefits. The renegotiation was a line in the sand: feck you, we're going to proceed with our United States of Europe, regardless of what you think. If they can't concede something meaningful under these circumstances, they're doomed (and us along with them).

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Before the United Nations, there was the League of Nations.

A lean, fully democratic EU I would consider voting for.

Never going to happen though.
                I would still be fascinated to hear how the boomers sold Singapore.

Comment

Those whining about democracy as if it's some kind of magic bullett - look at UK Govt, super democratic and uber tulip.

EU in particular needs strong hand to avoid populistic little tulips like Farage being in charge

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    That was before it got invaded by non-IT contractors, the mentally ill, the unemployed, the fantasists and the plain thick.
                    so when are you & MF (aka the Walter Mitty Brigade) leaving?

You are the one who keeps insulting everyone?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Look how Eastern European nations defend the right for their citizens to work in the UK yet their governments are the most opposed to migrants entering their countries.
                      I have worked numerous times in East European countries with no problems, it has not only provided me with further contacts to provide services but also broadened my outlook. You too, if so wished, could also work, live and play in these countries. As to the migrant problem, they're acting very much like the UK in that respect...

Not that the elected parliament really matters anyway, it is the unelected commission that makes the rules. This news item today sums it up:
                      I read the article, and your quote and if they're unelected then why:

The European Parliament has voted by an overwhelming majority...MEPs voted by 546 to 28 against the proposal
                      I think that says it was your elected representatives that voted for this
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X