• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excellent article by Liam Fox on EU"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Diego Garcia, Hong Kong, Singapore.

Maybe not for money, but for political access and trade relations.
    The UK still owns Diego Garcia, but has leased it to the US until the 2030s.

The UK leased Hong Kong from the Chinese, and that lease expired in 1999. There was no way the UK could hang on to it without Chinese agreement, because the water supply came from the Chinese mainland.

Not entirely sure about Singapore, but that was captured by the Japs early in WW2, and gained independence after the war in about the 1960s. Are you suggesting the UK should have resisted that and hung onto Singapore?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And then the EU working time directive and other workers rights, 'elf and safety, will be suspended.
    The financial industry can go mad with toxic derivatives.
    The Boomers will be free to enrich themselves even more at your expense and we can go back to the glory days of people dying of asbestos poisoning.
    Hurrah!
    Well I exagerrate but you get the gist ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...United_Kingdom

HSE: Timeline

History of Asbestos Law and Regulations

oh look all the regulation started in the UK before the EU but of course without the EU we would return to the 1800s.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    And then the EU working time directive and other workers rights, 'elf and safety, will be suspended.
    The Boomers will be free to enrich themselves even more at your expense and we can go back to the glory days of people dying of asbestos poisoning.
    Hurrah!
    Don't worry about the Boomers. They all travelled back in time to sell Singapore.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Wish we could all be as brainy as you vetran.
    i particularly liked your idea that we could respond to European tariffs post Brexit by lowering wages.
    pretty sure I didn't say that, maybe it was an 'expert' of your calibre(0.00000000022) who attempted to interpret my posts and as usual ended up drawing incorrect or biased conclusions.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    FTFY

Did you study for years to do that? Do you retrain every time a great advance like an in wash door is released.
    That way you could be equivalent to SAS
    Wish we could all be as brainy as you vetran.
    i particularly liked your idea that we could respond to European tariffs post Brexit by lowering wages.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The EU will implode if we BREXIT. Trade agreements is deck chairs on the titanic.
    Hurrah!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fair cop gov. I fix washing machines. I am a washing machine engineer. [emoji23]
    And I fixed your mum as well.
    FTFY

Did you study for years to do that? Do you retrain every time a great advance like an in wash door is released.
    That way you could be equivalent to SAS

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So your interest is democracy and sovereignty but you don't give a tulip about what decisions will be made in Brussels with which the UK will have to comply.

Do you not think democracy would be better served if you excused yourself from voting this time round?
    The EU will implode if we BREXIT. Trade agreements is deck chairs on the titanic.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Excellent article by Liam Fox on EU

I don't disdain manual workers. I've done plenty of manual work in my time.
    It's only when people lie that it makes it worthy of comment.
    Fair cop gov. I fix washing machines. I am a washing machine engineer. [emoji23]

I'm all seriousness. Tell me what you do, then I will tell you what I do.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 13 May 2016, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Classic. Your post count is above 30K . It is possible to fix things yourself if you've got a bit of gumption and a manual. Oh, and it didn't realise that people who fix washing machines were deserving of distain. I must remember to make pompous comments to the next 'manual worker' I meet.
    I don't disdain manual workers. I've done plenty of manual work in my time.
    It's only when people lie that it makes it worthy of comment.
    Last edited by sasguru; 13 May 2016, 10:30.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I don't give a tulip. My BREXIT vote is not based on Economic issues. It's is based on democratic issues, and sovereignty.
    So your interest is democracy and sovereignty but you don't give a tulip about what decisions will be made in Brussels with which the UK will have to comply.

Do you not think democracy would be better served if you excused yourself from voting this time round?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I don't give a tulip. My BREXIT vote is not based on Economic issues. It's is based on democratic issues, and sovereignty.
    So in other words, you want the Boomers to continue wrecking the country, only this time they won't have to bother with workers rights and the like?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    No I haven't been trained to. I've spent several years training in something that pays Ok.
    It's why I don't have to whinge ad nauseum on here.
    Anyway good change of topic when your lack of logic was pointed out.
    Classic. Your post count is above 30K . It is possible to fix things yourself if you've got a bit of gumption and a manual. Oh, and it didn't realise that people who fix washing machines were deserving of distain. I must remember to make pompous comments to the next 'manual worker' I meet.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    What exactly is wrong with fixing washing machines? Is that not a worthy profession?
    Completely worthy. Why, are you ashamed of it?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Will there be a free trade agreement with EU? What will the UK have to do to be a part of that agreement? What decisions will be made in Brussels with which the UK will have to comply?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X