• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a house next to busy road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Can't you compel the train company /Network Rail to install acoustic barriers
    Even with accoustic barriers you'll struggle with the underlying rumbling road/rail noise. The acoustic barriers are not very good at dealing with low ambient sounds so you'll never get away from that. These are the same low-level noises the walls won't be able to stop either.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Market it for deaf people.

Comment

I see the odd house like that come up from time to time. Personally - not for me. But it will be sold in 2 weeks, the whole market is bonkers mad. Probably some hermit who fixed shoes with fish skin lived in it 100 years ago...
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I once found awesome house I was interested in. Price was great. Pictures were great. There was only one thing wrong, the google-earth shot of the location showed these two familiar looking lakes near by.

I couldn't quite remember where I'd seen them before, a few minutes research later and I located the house. It was effectively at the end of Heathrow Airports runway.

Another great house I wanted, this time out in the country, had everything. Good size. Good price. Lots of space. Drove past it and was surprised to see a massive 100ft electricity pylon in the field next door with the power lines stretching straight across the garden. Somehow the estate agents pictures had failed to capture that. I wonder why?

Lots of things with houses you can fix. Subsidence, damp, decor. You cannot "fix" massive noise pollution. ( Or overhead electricity cables ).

Buying the wrong house for you will make you poorer, unhappy and quite possibly ill.

If you need to ask the question on this forum then you already know what the answer is : No. Don't buy it.

Comment

Have you made out a checklist of what you want in a house?

If not, create a spreadsheet. If there is more than 1 of you involved in the purchase (i.e. you have a partner), then make separate spreadsheets and list your priorities in order of importance.
            What are the "Must haves"
            What are the "Would like"
            What are the "Don't care"
            What are the "Must NOT have"

Then you combine both lists to see what are the requirements, etc.
            Then as you look at various houses, you record how well each house does.

...and then you make the compromises.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Have you made out a checklist of what you want in a house?

If not, create a spreadsheet. If there is more than 1 of you involved in the purchase (i.e. you have a partner), then make separate spreadsheets and list your priorities in order of importance.
              What are the "Must haves"
              What are the "Would like"
              What are the "Don't care"
              What are the "Must NOT have"

Then you combine both lists to see what are the requirements, etc.
              Then as you look at various houses, you record how well each house does.

...and then you make the compromises.
              You can have it all.

Just add another £300k on top of your max budget.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Next to an A road no way.
                A/ vehicles will crash into your house/garden
                B/ Kids/pets will not be safe to wander unattended
                C/ Polution and accumilation of litter
                D/ The road may be widened/altered and the gov/council will aquire what they need via compulsary purchase and on the cheap
                E/ Getting in and out may be dangerous/PITA at peak times
                Last edited by ZARDOZ; 3 May 2016, 13:20.

Comment

The sort of A road that has 24 hour traffic rumbling by? Police sirens going at all hours? Heavy trucks thundering past? Is it used by bikers racing on a Sunday morning?

The only way to find out is go and see it for yourself, at all times of day and in all weathers. Imagine high summer when you want the windows open, or want to be in the garden.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Too many possible negatives.
                  Last edited by Chuck; 3 May 2016, 13:21. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Market it for deaf people.
                    Or for very stupid, much bigger market...

Comment

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
                      Suggestions on buying a house that is on an "A" road separated by a slip road and green. So the house is about 10-15 feet away from the main (busy) A road (with the slip road and be green in between the house and the " A" road) The house itself is awesome. The compromise is on the road. How noisy will it be? is it worth the buy? Value of the house is £550,000. Thanks
                      I prefer a cave in the middle of a natural park.

Comment

Working...
                      X