• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where next for Japan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan should join the EU.

Lots of free handouts, funded by the UK. Sorted.

Comment

So, actual economics in a country doesn't match the picture painted by some here, then again according to many, the Yen is in freefall. Except the last 10, 5 or 2 years worth of data doesn't back that up...
      XE.com - GBP/JPY Chart
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        So, actual economics in a country doesn't match the picture painted by some here then again according to many, the Yen is in freefall. Except the last 10, 5 or 2 years worth of data doesn't back that up...
        XE.com - GBP/JPY Chart
        So you've decided on the basis of a short visit to Japan that all the statistics about its massive debt must be wrong because people are shopping and going to restaurants?

http://fortune.com/2015/02/26/japan-economic-time-bomb/
        Last edited by sasguru; 29 April 2016, 09:47.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          .. the cost of servicing Japan's public debt uses up half of the state's tax revenues[/B]"
          Ahhh, freedom - That's exactly as it should be, and the more debt the merrier!

The deeper and deeper governments dig themselves into a debt hole, the less ability the busibodies have to try and impose their will on their citizens.

Despite all that plebby whining about needing ever more money for "schools 'n hospitals", a government with ample cash is a tyranny, or one in the making. ..
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So you've decided on the basis of a short visit to Japan that all the statistics about its massive debt must be wrong because people are shopping and going to restaurants?

Forget Greece, Japan is the world's real economic time bomb - Fortune

No, I've decided, based on first hand experience, the idea that the people of Japan have stopped spending is wrong and that many reports (or the highlights picked from them) have been done in such a way to attract attention to the report, rather than to the facts.
            When someone says that this crisis has been going on for a long time and that the Yen is in freefall, I question that by looking at long term data. They have been saying that for at least 3 years, but it hasn't happened. The data backs it up.

Your response is to say that I don't know what I'm talking about. OK, your call.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              No, I've decided, based on first hand experience, the idea that the people of Japan have stopped spending is wrong and that many reports (or the highlights picked from them) have been done in such a way to attract attention to the report, rather than to the facts.
              When someone says that this crisis has been going on for a long time and that the Yen is in freefall, I question that by looking at long term data. They have been saying that for at least 3 years, but it hasn't happened. The data backs it up.

Your response is to say that I don't know what I'm talking about. OK, your call.
              Japans crisis dates from 1989. The yen fell drastically against the dollar then and remained roughly at that low level as you can see here:

Japanese Yen | 1972-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast | News (select historical tab and look at the max years so you see data from the 70s)

Since then debt has risen to astronomical levels.

These are undisputable facts.

If you're arguing that this debt doesn't matter that's another issue.

But saying people spending is a sign of health in the economy is naive, bordering on silly.

After all restaurants in London were just as packed at the height of the deepest recession since the war
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Forget Greece, Japan is the world's real economic time bomb - Fortune
                Interesting, their aversion to immigration will drive them all into poverty.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Doesn't alter the fact that Japan has serious macroeconomic problems:

- highest debt to GDP ratio in the G7 (> 200%)
                  - an ageing population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_public_debt

"Notwithstanding the stability of the market for Japanese government debt, the cost of servicing Japan's public debt uses up half of the state's tax revenues"
                  Most Samurais are held by elderly Japanese who are very loyal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Most Samurais are held by elderly Japanese who are very loyal.
                    Unto death.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Interesting, their aversion to immigration will drive them all into poverty.
                      So the only solution is an ever increasing population? Using up ever more resources?

At some point we all have to learn to live within our means. Either we can do it ourselves or it is forced upon us.

Comment

Working...
                      X