• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH semi-boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't agree with this. I don't think WFH should be the norm and particularly for contractors in this day and age. The number of utterly tulip contractors on the scene is growing due to it becoming the normal method of engagement. If anything I'd be looking for contractors to prove their worth before engaging in discussions about flexibility. IMO it's a tool to be used in the right circumstances, not a right.
    Sorry I don't agree with this ! I am not saying it is a right, just an accepted way of working today, even for contractors. For me I always make sure that wfh agreement is made before I sign a contract, albeit not the first thing I would bring up at interview...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Sorry I don't agree with this ! I am not saying it is a right, just an accepted way of working today, even for contractors. For me I always make sure that wfh agreement is made before I sign a contract, albeit not the first thing I would bring up at interview...
      How can it be an accepted way? For a start we supply services to clients. We deliver what the client wants with some flexibility depending on the gig. Where can we have an accepted way of working when the client has the requirements and that requirement changes client per client. You may dictate your working terms before you sign a contract by all means but they are your terms of engagement, not an accepted way of working.

Yes in this day and age there is no technology blocker as to why we can't work from home but particularly with contractors this needs to be managed on a case by case basis. Far too many slackers out there spoiling it for the rest of us so not unreasonable for a client to say no until you've proved you can deliver. So many times I rock up to clients and see contractors taking the piss with the WFH. I don't know who they think they are kidding, can't get hold of them, output drops, waffle when it comes to status meetings. Sadly the clients don't deal with it properly and it's allowed to go on.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I don't believe it's a right or a way or working. IMO It's a negotiation point that varies from client to client but not unreasonable for a client to say no at least in the early stages.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't agree with this. I don't think WFH should be the norm and particularly for contractors in this day and age. The number of utterly tulip contractors on the scene is growing due to it becoming the normal method of engagement. If anything I'd be looking for contractors to prove their worth before engaging in discussions about flexibility. IMO it's a tool to be used in the right circumstances, not a right.
        I agree with NLUK for once!

Its not a right - its just too easy to skive when WFH. I can see why a client may be wary.

Been here over 18 months at current client so they know how crap I am!!!! :-)
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

How can it be an accepted way? For a start we supply services to clients. We deliver what the client wants with some flexibility depending on the gig. Where can we have an accepted way of working when the client has the requirements and that requirement changes client per client. You may dictate your working terms before you sign a contract by all means but they are your terms of engagement, not an accepted way of working.

Yes in this day and age there is no technology blocker as to why we can't work from home but particularly with contractors this needs to be managed on a case by case basis. Far too many slackers out there spoiling it for the rest of us so not unreasonable for a client to say no until you've proved you can deliver. So many times I rock up to clients and see contractors taking the piss with the WFH. I don't know who they think they are kidding, can't get hold of them, output drops, waffle when it comes to status meetings. Sadly the clients don't deal with it properly and it's allowed to go on.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I don't believe it's a right or a way or working. IMO It's a negotiation point that varies from client to client but not unreasonable for a client to say no at least in the early stages.
          And I would also say its a culture thing in some clients (and also with some client managers). They just dont like WFH. I had a bit of a job getting anything sorted this time - all because one manager just doesnt like it and doesnt want the permies doing it at all. Took a while to convince him that I wasnt like the permies and in fact did different thing.

Good IR35 pointer eh nluk? Permies not allowed I am
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I agree with NLUK for once!

Its not a right - its just too easy to skive when WFH. I can see why a client may be wary.

Been here over 18 months at current client so they know how crap I am!!!! :-)
            I won't labour the point, but I didn't say it is a right, but more of an accepted working culture these days, which is a slightly different.

Comment

Working...
            X