• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WFH semi-boom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WFH semi-boom"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I agree with NLUK for once!

Its not a right - its just too easy to skive when WFH. I can see why a client may be wary.

Been here over 18 months at current client so they know how crap I am!!!! :-)
    I won't labour the point, but I didn't say it is a right, but more of an accepted working culture these days, which is a slightly different.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How can it be an accepted way? For a start we supply services to clients. We deliver what the client wants with some flexibility depending on the gig. Where can we have an accepted way of working when the client has the requirements and that requirement changes client per client. You may dictate your working terms before you sign a contract by all means but they are your terms of engagement, not an accepted way of working.

Yes in this day and age there is no technology blocker as to why we can't work from home but particularly with contractors this needs to be managed on a case by case basis. Far too many slackers out there spoiling it for the rest of us so not unreasonable for a client to say no until you've proved you can deliver. So many times I rock up to clients and see contractors taking the piss with the WFH. I don't know who they think they are kidding, can't get hold of them, output drops, waffle when it comes to status meetings. Sadly the clients don't deal with it properly and it's allowed to go on.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I don't believe it's a right or a way or working. IMO It's a negotiation point that varies from client to client but not unreasonable for a client to say no at least in the early stages.
    And I would also say its a culture thing in some clients (and also with some client managers). They just dont like WFH. I had a bit of a job getting anything sorted this time - all because one manager just doesnt like it and doesnt want the permies doing it at all. Took a while to convince him that I wasnt like the permies and in fact did different thing.

Good IR35 pointer eh nluk? Permies not allowed I am

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I don't agree with this. I don't think WFH should be the norm and particularly for contractors in this day and age. The number of utterly tulip contractors on the scene is growing due to it becoming the normal method of engagement. If anything I'd be looking for contractors to prove their worth before engaging in discussions about flexibility. IMO it's a tool to be used in the right circumstances, not a right.
    I agree with NLUK for once!

Its not a right - its just too easy to skive when WFH. I can see why a client may be wary.

Been here over 18 months at current client so they know how crap I am!!!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Sorry I don't agree with this ! I am not saying it is a right, just an accepted way of working today, even for contractors. For me I always make sure that wfh agreement is made before I sign a contract, albeit not the first thing I would bring up at interview...
    How can it be an accepted way? For a start we supply services to clients. We deliver what the client wants with some flexibility depending on the gig. Where can we have an accepted way of working when the client has the requirements and that requirement changes client per client. You may dictate your working terms before you sign a contract by all means but they are your terms of engagement, not an accepted way of working.

Yes in this day and age there is no technology blocker as to why we can't work from home but particularly with contractors this needs to be managed on a case by case basis. Far too many slackers out there spoiling it for the rest of us so not unreasonable for a client to say no until you've proved you can deliver. So many times I rock up to clients and see contractors taking the piss with the WFH. I don't know who they think they are kidding, can't get hold of them, output drops, waffle when it comes to status meetings. Sadly the clients don't deal with it properly and it's allowed to go on.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I don't believe it's a right or a way or working. IMO It's a negotiation point that varies from client to client but not unreasonable for a client to say no at least in the early stages.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I don't agree with this. I don't think WFH should be the norm and particularly for contractors in this day and age. The number of utterly tulip contractors on the scene is growing due to it becoming the normal method of engagement. If anything I'd be looking for contractors to prove their worth before engaging in discussions about flexibility. IMO it's a tool to be used in the right circumstances, not a right.
    Sorry I don't agree with this ! I am not saying it is a right, just an accepted way of working today, even for contractors. For me I always make sure that wfh agreement is made before I sign a contract, albeit not the first thing I would bring up at interview...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    These days wfh 1 day per week should be the norm even for contractors - as you say 1 day in 10 is better than no days.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Got client to agree to 1 day per fortnight WFH but no fixed day. Hey ho - was hoping for one day per week but better than nothing.

And as long as I dont tell the permies about this agreement lol.
    These days wfh 1 day per week should be the norm even for contractors - as you say 1 day in 10 is better than no days.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I thought it was established he's inside IR35 anyway.
    Yes Im not as important as some of you.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    No fixed day for WFH? So you've just negotiated your way in to D&C?
    Yeh right if you say so. So you're saying that just because client, whos paying by the way, asks that you are available on site at some times, thats D&C. I don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Not if you're scared to get abuse about JSA. Different rules apply then.
    You are kidding right?

You might have noticed I dont give a monkeys

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY
    I thought it was established he's inside IR35, with a free life times supply of lube, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    No fixed day for WFH? So you've just negotiated your way in to D&C?
    I thought it was established he's inside IR35 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Don't try WFH with a semi
    I'm sure he won't

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Don't try WFH with a semi

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark