• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voting to remain is not the same as "carry on as we are..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drei View Post
    DimPrawn pretty much sums it up but will voice my concern on immigration.

The UK has the highest population per squared mile in the whole of Europe. The infrastructure is NOT that great so again, all the voters IN please tell us how will the UK survive when every other new country will pour in its people into the UK, we are probably around 70 mill now.

Guess living in London for the past 25 years it is a lot more obvious as you can see the numbers going up and up, the same trains used 8 years ago are now packed and need 3 4 extra trains to accommodate the people on the platforms, same roads are now full (used to commute by motorbike and gave up), school places, you could hardly hear any Eastern European languages where I live now that is all I hear, I am actually looking to move even further out due to this.

I must repeat that I am not against the people of EU. If the UK was the size of the US I couldn't care less, if the infrastructure was in place to handle millions upon millions I wouldn't care. It's like fitting cucumbers in a 500ml beer glass bottle, something will have to give and break, is it going to be the bottle or the cucumbers coming in? Since I live here and will do so and my children too... I worry about the future. I am not here as an economical immigrant just to make a quick buck without caring what happens to the country when I leave.
    You are my fave sockie.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Oh what grounds has the EU failed?

Whilst I await your contrived answer here are some successes of the EU:

1 The end of war between European nations. This has nothing to do with the nuclear Bomb, its because we have a load of Bureaucrats telling su we can't sell wonky fruit.

2 Democracy is now flourishing in 27 countries (something the UK really hates). I suppose us invading most of them and replacing the sick dictators had nothing to do with that?

3 Once-poor countries, such as Ireland, Greece and Portugal, are prospering Are being heavily subsidised or are being used as tax haven.

4 The creation of the world's largest internal trading market. The US & China aren't far behind. Maybe we should trade with them?

5 Unparalleled rights for European consumers.

6 Co-operation on continent-wide immigration policy - seriously ????????

7 Co-operation on crime, through Europol - based on Interpol.

8 Laws that make it easier for British people to buy property in Europe. And a complete lack of enforcement when people do in Spain.

9 Cleaner beaches and rivers throughout Europe. possibly but wouldn't that have happened anyway when trying to sell tourism?

10 Four weeks statutory paid holiday a year for workers in Europe. Happen anyway especially with a shortage of workers.

11 No death penalty (it is incompatible with EU membership). ( 13 August 1964, Peter Anthony Allen, at Walton Prison in Liverpool, and Gwynne Owen Evans, at Strangeways Prison in Manchester, were executed for the murder of John Alan West on 7 April that year)

12 Competition from privatised companies means cheaper phone calls. Strange they only dealt with that a couple of years ago, data roaming is bad as well. Could have been achieved with a common market

13 Small EU bureaucracy (24,000 employees, fewer than the BBC) https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-debat...ts-derbyshire/

14 Making the French eat British beef again. We should have invaded its traditional

15 Minority languages, such as Irish, Welsh and Catalan recognised and protected - so we can discriminate against non welsh speakers...

16 Europe is helping to save the planet with regulatory cuts in CO2 - which of course is the correct way to stop 'climate change'

17 One currency from Bantry to Berlin (but not Britain) -thank <deity>

18 Europe-wide travel bans on tyrants such as Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe - but storing his gold & selling him arms is OK.

19 The EU gives twice as much aid to developing countries as the United States - Oh good more BMWs & Rollers for Tyrants

20 Strict safety standards for cars, buses and aircraft - this could have been achieved without Union

21 Free medical help for tourists. Unless you are in certain countries who just ignore it...

22 EU peacekeepers operate in trouble spots throughout the world. So do NATO & UN.

23 Europe's single market has brought cheap flights to the masses, and new prosperity for forgotten cities. Strange I can fly to Turkey cheaper than to Paris.

24 Introduction of pet passports - whoopie dooo

25 It now takes only 2 hrs 35 mins from London to Paris by Eurostar - thought that was a UK french collaboration.

26 Prospect of EU membership has forced modernisation on Turkey -?

27 Shopping without frontiers gives consumers more power to shape markets - yeah I buy from China & India on eBay not the EU.

28 Cheap travel and study programmes means greater mobility for Europe's youth - I traveled in France 35 years ago.

29 Food labelling is much clearer - yes you still can't understand if you are eating Latvian or Bulagarian horse but you might get some traffic light symbols if they are all green.

30 No tiresome border checks (apart from in the UK) - No restriction on movement for Economic migrants, European criminals & terrorists

31 Compensation for passengers suffering air delays - if you are lucky.

32 Strict ban on animal testing for the cosmetic industry - even Korea is considering that (maybe they don't want their Dog curry with lipstick on?

Countries Around the World Work to Ban Cosmetics Testing on Animals | PETA's Blog | PETA

33 Greater protection for Europe's wildlife

34 Regional development fund has aided the deprived parts of Britain

35 European driving licences recognised across the EU - and the UK license was recognised all over the world

Touring tips, country by country | AA

36 Britons now feel a lot less insular - do we or do our masters command us to?

37 Europe's bananas remain bent, despite sceptics' fears

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commis...C)_No._2257/94

38 Strong economic growth - greater than the United States last year - and prove that was due to the EU?

39 Single market has brought the best continental footballers to Britain

40 Human rights legislation has protected the rights of the individual - and the terrorist

41 European Parliament provides democratic checks on all EU laws - that would be the ones that favour some ntions over others?

42 EU gives more, not less, sovereignty to nation states - yep we can't control our borders or negotiate any changes to the rules

43 Maturing EU is a proper counterweight to the power of US and China - possibly but it wimped out against Russia

44 European immigration has boosted the British economy - prove it.

45 Europeans are increasingly multilingual - except Britons, who are less so - yes they have all learnt English

46 Europe has set Britain an example how properly to fund a national health service -

47 British restaurants now much more cosmopolitan - Yep a taste of Pakistan, China, America is easy to get. French, German etc not so much.

48 Total mobility for career professionals in Europe - total mobility for any worker driving down wages.

49 Europe has revolutionised British attitudes to food and cooking - Damn & I thought it was Jamie Oliver & Ken Hom.

50 Lists like this drive the Eurosceptics mad - because they are made up
      FTFY
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        FTFY
        You're bored aren't you?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
          The UK has the highest population per squared mile in the whole of Europe. The infrastructure is NOT that great so again, all the voters IN please tell us how will the UK survive when every other new country will pour in its people into the UK, we are probably around 70 mill now.
          Why would they pour into the UK? UK is high tax, high cost of living country, especially for those below middle earnings - only thing that remains attraction is English language, perhaps there should be a requirement for fluent Welsh before people can cross the border?

Comment

You're bored aren't you?
            Very bored
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Why would they pour into the UK? UK is high tax, high cost of living country, especially for those below middle earnings - only thing that remains attraction is English language, perhaps there should be a requirement for fluent Welsh before people can cross the border?
              You mean if they speak Welsh they wont be allowed into England?

I am all for that
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You're bored aren't you?
                you have no idea....

I'm approaching Zeity levels.

Comment

I don't know why don't you ask the eastern europeans who have flooded Slough. Britain's most reviled town and everyone round here speaks slavic languages.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I don't know why don't you ask the eastern europeans who have flooded Slough. Britain's most reviled town and everyone round here speaks slavic languages.
                    What slavic languages, Polish?

Comment

What slavic languages, Polish?
                      Slavic Map | Simply Slavic Heritage Festival | Youngstown, Ohio

they all sound the same to me

Latvian & Romanian is popular as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X