• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens went they want your Mortgage money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you needn't be minted provided there's some deferred equity release aspect whereby you have a negligible interest rate but the bank or building society claim some or all of the property equity when you pop off?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

But if you do that, how do you pay for your EOL care in a home?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        if my mortgage was at 2% from 30 years old it would be the equivalent of £20 a week when I'm 80.
        What about 30 to 80 ?

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          What about 30 to 80 ?
          initially it will be a significant part of salary then it will fall to peanuts.

in 10 years my mortgage fell from about half of my take home to about a quarter. Money gets devalued & wages go up.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

initially it will be a significant part of salary then it will fall to peanuts.

in 10 years my mortgage fell from about half of my take home to about a quarter. Money gets devalued & wages go up.
            But nothing like in the 80s and 90s with inflation running at about 0.5%-ish. This is the real rub, buying an expensive house in a low inflation period means you're paying more for longer.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              But nothing like in the 80s and 90s with inflation running at about 0.5%-ish. This is the real rub, buying an expensive house in a low inflation period means you're paying more for longer.
              Bought in the 80's & the 90s.

My salary / hurly rate rose during that period as I progressed in jobs.

combine with Housing costs rising and 5% inflation (headline rate) over 10 years I was paying peanuts for a 4 bed house.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bought in the 80's & the 90s.

My salary / hurly rate rose during that period as I progressed in jobs.

combine with Housing costs rising and 5% inflation (headline rate) over 10 years I was paying peanuts for a 4 bed house.
                Indeed. I'm sure the vast majority that take out a mortgage purely judge it on the monthly payment. We've had no increase in base rate for over eight years. If you take out a mortgage today, you're probably going to pay a real chunk of money out of your income for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Indeed. I'm sure the vast majority that take out a mortgage purely judge it on the monthly payment. We've had no increase in base rate for over eight years. If you take out a mortgage today, you're probably going to pay a real chunk of money out of your income for a very long time.
                  When we do have an increase in base rates I think a lot of the country are going to find they can't make the payments. Going to be a right sorry mess.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    When we do have an increase in base rates I think a lot of the country are going to find they can't make the payments. That will be the time to invest
                    FTFY it will be for some while for others
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      FTFY it will be for some while for others
                      You make a good point g

Pass me the popcorn

Comment

Working...
                      X