• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit won't stop EU migration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The UK has the same emergency break.

As Old Greg points out, the UK government can unilaterally exit the EU at any time it wants simply by passing an act of parliament, unlike the 2 year exit clause there would be no international agreement in place so it would cause havoc, but it can be done.
    I can stop my little toe from itching by pointing a twelve bore at my foot. Doesn't mean its sensible.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If the UK leaves the EU will dismantle and countries like Switzerland will ignore them
      And that's a bad thing, how?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        And that's a bad thing, how?
        I never said it was a bad thing
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I can stop my little toe from itching by pointing a twelve bore at my foot. Doesn't mean its sensible.
          Technically, you'd have to pull the trigger at some point. Otherwise there's kind of no bleeding point like. Or are you just slightly more mouth than trousers...?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Parliament is sovereign and an Act of Parliament could invalidate the application of the freedoms at s stroke.
            Yes the moment the European Communities Act 1972 is repealed or amended the EU has no legal authority over the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              no they don't. EFTA countries have the exact same rules.

https://next.ft.com/content/fba39018...0-42b68cfae6e4

As Old Greg points out, the UK government can unilaterally exit the EU at any time it wants simply by passing an act of parliament, unlike the 2 year exit clause there would be no international agreement in place so it would cause havoc, but it can be done.
              No they don't they have an agreement in place with the EU.

Part of that agreement states that EFTA countries have the legal right to unilaterally to take action if “serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties of a sectoral or regional nature arise and are liable to persist” as a result of excessive migration.

While the 'safeguard measures' are in place EFTA-EU trade continues.

Comment

Working...
              X