• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories of the 70s for "Gen Y"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    You forgot the mandatory "you've got to have a savings account with us for at least a year before we could possibly consider deigning to offer you a mortgage". g

And the £30 (or was it £50?) limit on the amount of sterling you could take out of the country on your hols.
    As a kid wasn't aware of any of those ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Post Office Savings Account...I found my book the other day, still got 1,38 in it. Maybe I should send it off to get the interest from since the last time
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Dead dogs in the road....

Bonfires higher than the surrounding houses 10 feet away

Pop man

Old-style paedos, no nasty stuff, just a bit of trouser fumbling

Penny tray

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          We had (and I still have one just in case like) open coal fires. Lovely and warm. Lot of work though. And the dust is horrendous.
          What about storage heaters? Or was that a few years later?

A house we looked at the other day had working fireplaces in every room (except the smallest). Lovely.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
            Some might contend that the saddest part was when your mouse hovered over "Reply With Quote" and your judgement failed you. But hey, we've all done it.

Whoever designed our school deemed it appropriate to build a water feature that ran the length of it. We could study nature.

This became the perfect place to refill our jif lemons (used for squirting other kids) though the risks associated with crouching next to the water feature weren't to be underestimated. Our skills at salesmanship were honed by trying to persuade the little kids in winter that the thin layer of ice on the surface of the water feature would "definitely take your weight".

90% of kids at my school had one of those blue parkas with the furry hoods and orange lining. They were warm but not waterproof. By the time we'd walked a mile to school in the rain (yeah, try it, kids) these parkas weighed half a hundredweight.
            So unlike SAS who was bullied you were the bully!

I expect you are proud of that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              What about storage heaters? Or was that a few years later?

A house we looked at the other day had working fireplaces in every room (except the smallest). Lovely.
              Ah yes storage heaters - touted as the latest and greatest heating tech, in the early 80s I believe.
              They never worked properly.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Cars that you were never sure would start. I can't get on with these new-fangled cars that turn the engine off at traffic lights etc, I'm convinced it won't start next time...

Oh how I (don't) miss the morning engine churning in winter of my dad trying to start his Ford Contina. Churn, churn, bonnet up, fiddling about, bonnet down, churn, churn, repeat and rinse until battery flat.....

Comment

I could never work out what the rag and bone man said with his horse.

He stopped coming round in the mid-80s....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Cars that you were never sure would start. I can't get on with these new-fangled cars that turn the engine off at traffic lights etc, I'm convinced it won't start next time...

Oh how I (don't) miss the morning engine churning in winter of my dad trying to start his Ford Contina. Churn, churn, bonnet up, fiddling about, bonnet down, churn, churn, repeat and rinse until battery flat.....
                    Oh yeah forgot that. Were you neighbours? Coz I remember a neighbour's Ford Cortina and the endless racket he made trying to start it.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Spangles.

Comment

Working...
                      X