• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a home 1982 vs 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It would lose half of its value after you move in...
    If you start loads of threads about house prices, sofas and hating Putin I will beg to get you banned as well.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      If you start loads of threads about house prices, sofas and hating Putin I will beg to get you banned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You'll miss me too much

Comment

As if the A24 isn't busy enough round there - you won't be able to turn in to the golf course for all the rubber neckers. Ah well, there's always Betchworth Park.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've wondered for some time,

how to say this without causing offence ?

what would happen if a group of like minded professionals en-masse colonized a poor area of a
            city

the professionals would get houses for great prices

by colonizing the neighbourhood the professionals would have professionals as neighbours

bingo

yes it happens today, but it is piecemeal, it is not really planned and executed

imagine a group of hard working professional families moving en masse to a poorer neighborhood,
            in a planned colonization

voila cheap houses and nice neighbours

what's not to like ?

Milan.

Comment

The reason why I struggle to find even an ounce of sympathy with people who complain about the housing market was really highlighted to me when speaking to a women of the same age as me (about 41) who has a friend who was struggling to get somewhere to live.

So this woman wanted to live in Didsbury in Manchester - a desirable area I am told - however it was too expensive for her - so I said there must surely places a mile or so from Didsbury centre where price are cheaper

Yes there are - but if she moved there then her friends would no longer talk to her because she no longer fit into the acceptable demograph of people they associated with.

This is coming from people who are 40 years old - the problem with generation Y is that they have never grown up because they have been protected by their parents trying to do them a favour and all they have managed to do is spawn some selfish brats who think the world should exist just to accommodate them.

"Choose rotting away at the end of it all,
              Pishing you last in a miserable home
              Nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish,
              ****ed-up brats

You have spawned to replace yourself.
              Choose your future. Choose life."

Comment

Oi, o PM. I am that age group and I disassociate myself completely from that group of self-centred twonks!

I think you have twits in every generation, there is no getting away from it. I know people of my age in the same boat and I know people in their twenties who have their own home due to sheer hard work. It takes all sorts!

My scheme was always buy a cacky, under-valued house in a good area or, as you suggested, the edge of a good area. Do it up and wait for the poshness to spread out. Did in the late 90's and did it again four years ago. The second time was after having sat in rented for four or five years. I didn't consider that to be dead money and we always looked after the houses that we rented. You just have to look at your income and make lifestyle choices that enable you to get where you want to be or to cut your coat according to your cloth.

I used to frequent the House Price Crash forums a lot and there are a lot of relatively bitter people there. I think the gov played a crafty game. Flood the market with money, keep house prices up, and now wages have pushed up to make the houses that bit more affordable. Will the correction come? I don't know and I CBA to try and second-guess it again now. We went in to rented partly as I expected a drop following the crash of 2007 and partly due to circumstances. No point stressing about it, keep saving all the time and just see where life takes you. If you start to blame others for your plight then that's when life can get a bit miserable.

Comment

Very few people saw the ZIRP and QE coming after the financial crash to prop up stock markets and house prices.

MM seems to be a constant petulant child. I've seen this a lot in Generation Y. I blame social media and selfies. And being edjukated under the New Lie.

Comment

Spoke to a friend of mine who bought a house a few years ago in Leeds, hardly any capital appreciation since then and she's on a pretty average salary just checked, 100 pages of houses all below 150 grand on right move within 10 miles of the city centre.

If you really want to buy a house and you are both are on average salaries buying a house is not a problem at all. At that price and current interest rates your mortgage won't be more than a few hundred quid. You don't have to spend your entire life in central London, and if you're single you don't need a house, which lets face it is one of the main reason less 20 somethings don't own houses.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 March 2016, 09:08.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                      If you start to blame others for your plight then that's when life can get a bit miserable.
                      Agreed. Those horrid Jews. Blaming the Nazis for their plight.

I see your lakey NAT took such a beating from PG he had to call in the big guns.....

Comment

Working...
                      X