• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stephen Crabb announces there will be no further cuts to welfare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

It's only £4bn. Probably a rounding error
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Apparently Downing Street was at great pains to clarify that Crabb didn't say "no more welfare cuts" but "no more welfare cuts planned at the moment"
        So when is he resigning?

And this makes all the political commentators right that the secretary of state for DWP after IDS will only last a max of 12 months.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Looking at tomorrow's order of business in the Commons, it looks like "Conclusion of Budget debate" must be the thing they're voting on, rather than the actual Finance Bill. Still, unless Gideon manages to have a sofa delivered that he can find £4.4 billion down the back of…
          They vote on so-called Budget Resolutions, which are the mechanisms through which taxes are collected. After these pass the HoC, the Finance Act starts its progress through Parliament (noting that the HoC has primacy on money matters, so the HoL cannot vote it down). It's the Finance Act that puts the budgetary measures into law, but the effects of the Budget Resolutions can be imposed immediately if so desired (e.g. the Chancellor could assert "from midnight tonight"). In principle, when a gov't suffers a "major" defeat on a financial matter such that it loses supply (i.e. does not have spending authority), it is no longer viable, and a confidence motion follows (hence the phrase "confidence and supply" as the minimum requirements for a gov't to hold power). However, in practice, depending on the nature and scale of the loss, it may not mean very much at all. The last "major" defeat was in 1994 when Ken Clark lost the vote to impose VAT on fuel (lost in the Financial Statement, aka Autumn Statement, as this was an earlier budget measure):

Rebels defeat Major on fuel tax | News | The Independent

He returned a few days later with amendments. No drama (relatively speaking). It's just a serious embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Government announces there are no plans for further cuts to welfare

Stephen Crabb, the new Welfare and Pensions Secretary, has suggested there will be no more welfare savings in this Parliament.

He announced the government will not be going ahead with changes to PIP and that there will be no further plans to make welfare savings in this parliament.

“We will not be going ahead with the changes to PIP that had been put forward,” he said

“I am absolutely clear that a compassionate and fair welfare system should not just be about numbers.

“Behind every statistic is a human being and perhaps sometimes in government we forget that.

Source: Stephen Crabb announces there will be no further cuts to welfare - after David Cameron praises George Osborne and Iain Duncan Smith - Telegraph

So, IDS took one for the team and protected countless people from savage Tory Scum (tm) cuts. What will they be cutting now?

Health, Welfare and Edukation are ring fenced, so is the Defense. We can also be pretty certain that Debt Interest won't be cut either

My calculation is that they'll need to cut 84 bln out of 181 bln remaining to get proficit IF the economy does not tank (which it will thanks to attack on investors who'd invest their money elsewhere).
            That image is at least two years out of date though
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The bizarre thing is that they're insisting they'll get MPs to vote on the Budget tomorrow, despite the fact that this affair has blown a £4.4 billion hole in the damn thing and Gideon hasn't got the faintest idea what to fill it with

"Yeah, this finance bill is obviously now worthless and we can't tell you what we're actually going to do because we don't know, but just vote it through so we can pretend we're on top of things, there's a good chap."

FFS
              There is a 84bn hole that needs filling.

Things are pretty screwed. But not nearly as screwed as they were under Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Government announces there are no plans for further cuts to welfare

Stephen Crabb, the new Welfare and Pensions Secretary, has suggested there will be no more welfare savings in this Parliament.

He announced the government will not be going ahead with changes to PIP and that there will be no further plans to make welfare savings in this parliament.

“We will not be going ahead with the changes to PIP that had been put forward,” he said

“I am absolutely clear that a compassionate and fair welfare system should not just be about numbers.

“Behind every statistic is a human being and perhaps sometimes in government we forget that.

Source: Stephen Crabb announces there will be no further cuts to welfare - after David Cameron praises George Osborne and Iain Duncan Smith - Telegraph

So, IDS took one for the team and protected countless people from savage Tory Scum (tm) cuts. What will they be cutting now?

Health, Welfare and Edukation are ring fenced, so is the Defense. We can also be pretty certain that Debt Interest won't be cut either

My calculation is that they'll need to cut 84 bln out of 181 bln remaining to get proficit IF the economy does not tank (which it will thanks to attack on investors who'd invest their money elsewhere).
                Presumably the money to support the increasing welfare costs will come from one of your trees?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Presumably the money to support the increasing welfare costs will come from one of your trees?
                  Presumably you would like anyone on welfare to be euthanized?

Comment

Don't be silly, welfare costs are dropping like a stone as the Tories get everyone into well-paid, rewarding, aspirational jobs.

In seriousness if unemployment is falling surely welfare costs must be dropping, as a share of GDP if not in absolute terms? Especially with welfare caps and other "stop taking the piss" measures.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As a student, Crabb spent his summers working on building sites in different locations in England and Wales. For one job at a site on Newport Docks he reportedly lived in a tent during the week, returning to Pembrokeshire at weekends
                      Have to have some respect for that

but the rest is the usual bolloxs

After his graduation, Crabb studied French through the Open University and gained an MBA at the London Business School.
                      He began his career in the youth and charity sector with the National Council for Voluntary Youth Services while working part-time as a youth worker in inner city south London. From 1995 to 1996, Crabb was a Christian Action Research and Education parliamentary intern.

In 1998, Crabb started work at the London Chamber of Commerce.[9] In the same year he was elected as the chairman of the Southwark North and Bermondsey Conservative Association, which position he held for two years. He was also an election monitor in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1998.In 2002 he became a marketing consultant
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X