• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client bitching about hours- pisses me off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Cool story bro. Got any more? Maybe one that's actually real?
    To be fair, I was that permie at one place. But then again, it was my job to keep track of the contractors billed hours ...

Comment

If they don't know when you're doing some late/remote work, just mention "oh, I was working late last night". It might not be visible that you're not being a bit slack

That said, if you do some remote work in the evening off your own bat, taking that off in lieu is a bit dodgy if you weren't asked to do it. Working late in an evening and coming in late the next day is one thing, but if they don't have an RDP culture you do have to play the game the right way.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Worked at one place where you could see the same permie look up and write something down every morning I came in and every day I left. Obviously was a mission to report the dodgy contractor.
        Sound's like you worked with NLUK

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Must be a manager at one of my former permie places. Mind you that guy use to write down when I went to toilet and had lunch as well. He was a manager without any staff to manage.
          Yeh I had similar. All contractors were asked to "minimize toilet breaks". I offered to save time and crap in the waste paper bin as long as no-one minded.

To be honest, they had a lot of call centre type employees who were obviously treated the same way so they thought it'd work with contractors too. This is the same client who tried to say "Don't park on the road outside the office when the car park is full, it looks scruffy". Even though there were no yellow lines.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If they don't know when you're doing some late/remote work, just mention "oh, I was working late last night". It might not be visible that you're not being a bit slack

That said, if you do some remote work in the evening off your own bat, taking that off in lieu is a bit dodgy if you weren't asked to do it. Working late in an evening and coming in late the next day is one thing, but if they don't have an RDP culture you do have to play the game the right way.
            Hmmm. Dunno. In my case, its something that needs doing out of hours. If its not done the project suffers but I'm the only one who knows it needs doing. So yes I do mention in meetings that x needs doing and I can do remotely. But no-one asks me to do it.

In that case, of course, I'd rather not get home, have my tea then spend an hour or two logged so I expect TOIL for this. They're not paying extra for my time or the inconvenience so least I expect is TOIL.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Yeh I had similar. All contractors were asked to "minimize toilet breaks". I offered to save time and crap in the waste paper bin as long as no-one minded.
              Of course you did.
              To be honest, they had a lot of call centre type employees who were obviously treated the same way so they thought it'd work with contractors too. This is the same client who tried to say "Don't park on the road outside the office when the car park is full, it looks scruffy". Even though there were no yellow lines.
              You've been incredibly unlucky in your career haven't you.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Of course you did.

Worked okay until they introduced a paperless office.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Worked okay until they introduced a paperless office.
                  Oh don't. He's gonna make up a story about that as well now!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh don't. He's gonna make up a story about that as well now!
                    There was this one time. I was at a client site, this well tidy bird came up to me. Anyway, she took all her clothes off and started fiddling with my mouse......

Comment

My first contract (Dublin, late 90's) I was given the advice of a contractor who was leaving that I should be the first on site in the morning and the last to leave every night. So I did that for 6 months, and it nearly killed me. Well, not quite, but you get the drift.

Since then I've taken the approach that I'd be absolutely mortified if a senior guy at client site commented on my hours (or appearance for that matter). As for people I'm working alongside, they can always be brought around with charm and donuts.
                      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                      "See?"

Comment

Working...
                      X