• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client bitching about hours- pisses me off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    Not sure whats wrong with doing that to be fair.
    It's a standing order not a direct debit. I picked the wrong one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's a standing order not a direct debit. I picked the wrong one.
      Doesn't matter the principle is the same.

Your monthly salary like that of other employees is a fixed monthly cost, so find a date in the month and pay it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Doesn't matter the principle is the same.

Your monthly salary like that of other employees is a fixed monthly cost, so find a date in the month and pay it.
        Yep. That's the point I was trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
          In a previous life before this one I was usually the sole permie (fool) working on various projects with 10 - 20 contractors. Nothing pissed me off more than contractors strolling in at 10 / 10:30. Giving it the large one, stating "I worked until 9pm four weeks ago, so I'm owed this or that".

Now in my new and improved life I always make sure I turn up on time, let the client know if I'm going to be late and put in a decent day. None of this 3:59pm and your 7 hours are up rubbish.

Seems to work well for me...
          Disagree. If client expects things done like work till 9pm then I expect either paying or hours back. I'm sorry but professional working day might run to 8 hours ish but not 12 hours.

If I get knocked back for ever expecting this then I won't do it again.

Yes it works well for you maybe but don't be under the illusion that it will ever influence extensions. In my book, it won't. You could put in 90 hours a week and the client will either need you to stay/have budget or they won't. They won't think "aw love him hes done so much for free". No way ever.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
            Not to tulip on your good time but in 4 years the leap day is on a saturday

People making passive aggressive comments about your timekeeping really grinds you down, I had to put up with it as a permie because I worked 15 minutes later in the morning and 15 minutes extra at the end, and every, single, *******, day, this annoying dicklord would ensure he said in front of everyone 'good *afternoon*!'. Guy was a total cockmunch.
            Worked at one place where you could see the same permie look up and write something down every morning I came in and every day I left. Obviously was a mission to report the dodgy contractor.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Worked at one place where you could see the same permie look up and write something down every morning I came in and every day I left. Obviously was a mission to report the dodgy contractor.
              Cool story bro. Got any more? Maybe one that's actually real?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 7 March 2016, 10:57.

Comment

There's a line one permie uses at my client co:

"Still with us then?"

He hates me [emoji22]
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  There's a line one permie uses at my client co:

"Still with us then?"

He hates me [emoji22]
                  Is he a baby boomer?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Must be a manager at one of my former permie places. Mind you that guy use to write down when I went to toilet and had lunch as well. He was a manager without any staff to manage.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Disagree. If client expects things done like work till 9pm then I expect either paying or hours back. I'm sorry but professional working day might run to 8 hours ish but not 12 hours.

If I get knocked back for ever expecting this then I won't do it again.

Yes it works well for you maybe but don't be under the illusion that it will ever influence extensions. In my book, it won't. You could put in 90 hours a week and the client will either need you to stay/have budget or they won't. They won't think "aw love him hes done so much for free". No way ever.
                      As mentioned previously (I think) the chap only worked until 9pm as he didn't bother turning up until 11am. The client never asked him to work until 9pm. I also doubt he did much work after 5 either.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is turn up on time and do a decent days work. You are a business providing a service not a permanent member of staff.

Comment

Working...
                      X