• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client bitching about hours- pisses me off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet he wishes he'd not tried to be smart about the pay day thing now....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not to tulip on your good time but in 4 years the leap day is on a saturday

People making passive aggressive comments about your timekeeping really grinds you down, I had to put up with it as a permie because I worked 15 minutes later in the morning and 15 minutes extra at the end, and every, single, *******, day, this annoying dicklord would ensure he said in front of everyone 'good *afternoon*!'. Guy was a total cockmunch.
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

I have either been very lucky with clients or grown so think skinned I never notice anyone saying anything like this!

Comment

Yeah, ignore and invoice.

It's always the complete fools that make these kind of comments.

I tend to get in early and out early. It's nice starting at 7am. Easy to get in. Nice quiet office. No interruptions. Get more done.

Some people just can't grasp the concept. I'm leaving before you because I started before you. I'm not skimping on hours.

As with everything just focus on delivering value and try and ignore everything else (which I find very hard at times!).

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
            Not really, just doing a good job and being professional. The 9pm in question wasn't due to workload but a 11am start.
            That's not what you said though.

If someone is working their hours it shouldn't be a problem. If he was taking the piss then you have every right to be annoyed.

I have no problem with working extra hours occasionally to fix an issue or hit a deadline. And when I do, I don't expect to be pulled up by management about coming in a bit late, and I certainly don't give a tulip if some permie gets the hump about it.

And what I won't do is do it routinely as that's what the permies are doing to impress the boss for their bonus/promotion.

Comment

Being sniped at occasionally seems par for the course.
              I was outsourced to EDS many moons ago on a 35 hour week
              my T&Cs then were 09:30 to 17:30.

Fine whilst located at original clients site not good once I moved north to work out of an EDS office in Telford.
              Most there were on 37.5 hours.

So I could either come in at 09:30 and find there was nowhere to park, and get odd looks or come in at 09:00 leave at 17:00 and then get comments re going early.
              I put up with that for a few years. I offered to switch to 37.5 hours but the term salary uplift (for the extra 2.5 hours) did not equate with middle manglement let alone HR.

Fast forward to now currently still on 35 hours but now on a daily rate and free of all the previous permie corporate bulltulip.

I seem to be at a very understanding client site now (read as they are probably well used to using contractors) so I have no attendance problems at all I can come and go as it suits or WFH when I want to. It is actually very refreshing to be working in a truly flexible environment again.
              Last edited by DallasDad; 5 March 2016, 19:09. Reason: wrong worms
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So you have a pay day. It's just your HR is so crap you don't know when it is......

Why not set a DD up so you don't have to worry about it and your RTI will be the same every month?
                Set up a DD for your regular fixed income?
                Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
                  Over the years I've noticed that if you're willing to work extra hours for free then client will mostly take all they can get. I've also seen lots of client managers who try it on a bit to get freebies. I can live with that - if a manager can get tons of work out of a contractor he gets a slap on the back for utilising the resouce to the max.

Current client and one particular manager is starting to take the michael a bit. For a while,I've been coming in at 8am and leaving at 4-30pm. (Contract says 7.5 hours a day). So no big deal.

Occasionally, they'll expect me to stay late or do some out of hours stuff. I've also got remote access and do stuff from home. I log this and take this as TOIL.

No-one offered but in the past I just said I'm off Friday but booking it as billable and using these hours. My rationale is a bit extra no big deal but if you want me working late and I miss my kids before they go to bed and/or expect me to do stuff from home in the evening as well then it aint free.

More recently I've been having comments if I leave at 4.30pm ("half day is it?") or if I come in at 9 instead of 8 ("late shift is it?). Peeing me off now it is.

Yes its said jokingly but know damn well manager is doing it in a bit of passive/aggressive bullying way.

Ignore?
                  do they make you clean the toilets and pushups in morning too ?

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                    Set up a DD for your regular fixed income?
                    Not sure whats wrong with doing that to be fair.
                    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Bet he wishes he'd not tried to be smart about the pay day thing now....
                      Absolutely. Couldnt get to sleep last night thinking about it...
                      "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                      X