• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So thickos support Brexit and the more intelligent support staying in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    The whole thing is based on smoke and mirrors and buying into the illusion that the paper in your hand is worth something. I don't understand your example of PCP, if you lease it and then buy it you own it. If you lease it and don't buy it then it's sold on in the second hand market, it's still bought.
    The point is that it boosts "new car sales" figures in the uk whereas most cars are returned to the dealer after 3 years so they haven't been bought. That gives the false impression that the uk car industry is booming compared to Europe where PCP doesn't figure so much. And yes there is a glut of 3 year old cars on the market, so much so that buying one is a good strategy for economical motoring.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I thought that USA had a number of free trade deals with several countries that would be considered medium to small sized economies.
      Only as part of regional trade deals in recent history. A govt official just said in October the UK would face the same tariffs as Russia because they're only doing deals with blocs now. I suppose if the UK left the EU five-ten years ago yes, but *surprise* not worth it any more.

Link has been posted a couple of times before, but enjoy:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...f-it-leaves-eu

I suppose a new right wing government in the USA would consider one in exchange for opt-outs to UK regs and more golf courses, but hey, sovereignty!
      Last edited by seanraaron; 25 February 2016, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/06...nd-newspaper-/

Surprising is it not? I mean the clever will find work and prosper whatever, but where do thickos think their bread and butter is going to come from? ...
        Sas in his vanity has fallen for the most transparent official propaganda: Educated young people are supposedly more likely to vote to stay in the EU. "Ergo" (the Government want people to conclude) "if I do likewise then I must be smart and trendy, like them".

To address your question, the "thickos" as you call them are more likely to be able to earn a crust if the UK is able to limit the numbers of immigrants, which the UK Government obviously can't while the UK remains in the EU.

So the "clever", who vote to stay, on the grounds they can prosper anywhere, are arguably saying "Sod the thickos - I'm alright Jack!". How selfish, quite apart from being incorrect. Nobody will be safe for long if we stay!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Well that at least posits some scenarios however unlikely.
          I veer towards staying in but am willing to be persuaded otherwise. But at the moment, neither side are making any logical or analytical arguments.
          I try to put myself in, say, a Chinese company's shoes making an investment in Europe. Why would you invest in the Uk rather than than the EU with its much larger markets?
          It's all very well saying we'll trade outside Europe but reality is we're the supplicants in that trade not being a very large market
          Fair point
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

America is desperate for the UK to keep nukes on our shores. They need the intelligence agencies, like GCHQ, to keep sharing information with them. They also like us to be alongside them when they go to war.

We have a relatively strong hand in any negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              America is desperate for the UK to keep nukes on our shores. They need the intelligence agencies, like GCHQ, to keep sharing information with them. They also like us to be alongside them when they go to war.

We have a relatively strong hand in any negotiations.
              My god with balls this big how the hell did the UK end up looking for handouts after the war? Sorry but the UK needs the USA A LOT more than the other way around. If it becomes a case of having to prop up the country they'll just groom some other European State. I'd choose one of the "neutral" Nordic countries myself.

Comment

If you sell cars to Europe you will have to make them to their standards (which may differ from home market) and you don't have a say in what those standards will be. I can't see the problem there.

For me, it's whether they pull up the draw-bridge to fortress Europe (i.e. impose import tariffs). To say, they wouldn't because we're a big market to them, will it play out like that? If the Spanish (to use them as an example again) say get uppity about no access to our fishing waters, could they force changes from other EU members? (or will the German interest to sell us their cars trump Spanish complaints).

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  If you sell cars to Europe you will have to make them to their standards (which may differ from home market) and you don't have a say in what those standards will be. I can't see the problem there.
                  Could always dump right-hand drive to make it cheaper to build but at least it would be OUR SOVEREIGN DECISION!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Could always dump right-hand drive to make it cheaper to build but at least it would be OUR SOVEREIGN DECISION!!!
                    Do you not like making decisions for yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                      Only as part of regional trade deals in recent history. A govt official just said in October the UK would face the same tariffs as Russia because they're only doing deals with blocs now. I suppose if the UK left the EU five-ten years ago yes, but *surprise* not worth it any more.

Link has been posted a couple of times before, but enjoy:

US warns Britain: If you leave EU you face barriers to trading with America | Politics | The Guardian

I suppose a new right wing government in the USA would consider one in exchange for opt-outs to UK regs and more golf courses, but hey, sovereignty!
                      Hah, sorry a link to a guardian article is pretty worthless in my book.

Comment

Working...
                      X