• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£45K per Year is enough ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£45K per Year is enough ?

Hi Guys,
    I am currently an IT contractor (BI developer with 5 years experience) in France but I have a Permanent Job opportunity in Central London of £45K per year.
    My current contract is one year long, the rate is 500€.
    I have NO idea how the rates are in London for IT people of my experience especially for Permanent Job but does this salary is fair enough ?
    My motivation for this job is that I want to be fluent in english but I don't to want to survive either compared to my current rate ...
    If this would involve moving with my wife and my 6 months years old daughter to London with only one salary for the beginning ...

Thank you all.

I think your question is the following;

Is £45k enough for a London job with a wife and baby to support.

It sounds tough to me. Really tough. You could do it, but you will be skint.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Comment

Bi and married? Are you Oscar Wilde?

Comment

As someone who lives in London the answer is "No".

If you want to live in a decent area where your daughter can eventually go to nursery and then a good primary school then the rents will be expensive and you definitely won't be able to afford to buy. (If you search in the English broadsheet newspapers about school places you will see what I mean.)

Your wife will form bonds with other people who will be your back up if something goes wrong e.g. one of you has an injury and has to go to A&E but need someone to look after the child, and so will not want to move when your child goes to nursery unless you are forced to by your landlord selling the place.

If you wish to be near London there are places outside London in the Home Counties where you can afford to live on around that salary as long as you can live within walking distance of your workplace.

Otherwise I would find a city completely outside London and the SE like in the North to move to simply because it's cheaper, people only do their working hours and people are more friendly.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thank you for your objective response .

Comment

€500 a day so about £440

£440 * 200 =£88,000

so half your current.

Unless you are buying a mansion in Paris you have a good standard of living.

£45k is one tenth of the cost of a 2 bed flat or 'starter home' in London.

I'm on more than that and I couldn't afford to live in London.

Get a job for an International company with a major UK & or US office. You will learn English quick as the Brits & Yanks don't speak french.

Stay comfortable in France and get some decent beer, Electrics & plumbing at home then you will be better off than the UK.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thank you for objective response . 45K is not enough I guess ...
                I am leaving pretty well in my current state in France I don't want to cut back .

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  €500 a day so about £440

£440 * 200 =£88,000

so half your current.

Unless you are buying a mansion in Paris you have a good standard of living.

£45k is one tenth of the cost of a 2 bed flat or 'starter home' in London.

I'm on more than that and I couldn't afford to live in London.

Get a job for an International company with a major UK & or US office. You will learn English quick as the Brits & Yanks don't speak french.

Stay comfortable in France and get some decent beer, Electrics & plumbing at home then you will be better off than the UK.
                  500€ is more like 390£, I got a shock when was offered a 650€'er in Munich not long back, Euro well low. Turned it down.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    500€ is more like 390£, I got a shock when was offered a 650€'er in Munich not long back, Euro well low. Turned it down.
                    yep you are right I misread xe.com long day. SAP rebates are borrrrrrrrrrring.

its still £78K so a lot more than £45K.

Unless a £45K permie job includes a decent pension & serious company funded benefits its not even close.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X