• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispatches: Taxing The Rich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    The scheme advisers on dispatches were offering a LEGAL way to keep 10k of it - Are you doing that? If not, why not?
    Too much hassle.

I pay something and have insurance for when HMRC want to come knocking. I don't want to end up like those posters on the HMRC Scheme Enquires board where I live in anxiety of HMRC stealing my house simply because the scheme I was in was uninsurable.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      ^ This

Make the man in the street feel bad about organising their tax affairs to save a pittance
      Are they? Seems like they're always promoting ISAs and in fact are widening the width of an ISA portfolio... firstly increasing it to £15k a year, secondly allowing a more diverse range of investments to be included.

Oh... when you say "man in the street" do you mean an average Joe with 'only' 2 BTL properties?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

how much do you need to earn before these schemes are worthwhile. one imagines they could be quite costly to setup and run, anyone have the figures?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          how much do you need to earn before these schemes are worthwhile. one imagines they could be quite costly to setup and run, anyone have the figures?
          Depends on the setup. General consensus is that around £80k pa gross starts to make it worthwhile. Basis cost to set up trusts and offshore companies is in the low thousands, the biggest cost for "schemes" (as opposed to individual tailored tax planning) is the scheme organiser's take...

IOM company with nominee directors and shareholders costs about £4K per year.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            the biggest cost for "schemes" (as opposed to individual tailored tax planning) is the scheme organiser's take...
            Wrong.

The biggest cost of those "schemes" are having to repay tax due with penalties and compound interest, plus priceless years of your life worrying about having to sell house or not - very likely divorce in the middle of all this.

Only those who have very high wealth and can afford to drop easily a few million quid on litigation plus repay any tax due from liquid assets without noticing a dip in life style can concern themselves with those "schemes".

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Wrong.

The biggest cost of those "schemes" are having to repay tax due with penalties and compound interest, plus priceless years of your life worrying about having to sell house or not - very likely divorce in the middle of all this.

Only those who have very high wealth and can afford to drop easily a few million quid on litigation plus repay any tax due from liquid assets without noticing a dip in life style can concern themselves with those "schemes".

HTH
              Touché, although there are ways around keeping assets, as anyone who was in Ireland during the banking crisis knows....

Comment

Touché, although there are ways around keeping assets, as anyone who was in Ireland during the banking crisis knows....
                He's not being touche he's pointing out the contractors, footballers and others who have been caught out.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Dispatches: Taxing The Rich

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  He's not being touche he's pointing out the contractors, footballers and others who have been caught out.
                  Yes, I understand that.

Touché: (in fencing) used as an acknowledgement of a hit by one's opponent.

What did you think it meant?
                  Last edited by meridian; 14 February 2016, 00:53.

Comment

Yes, I understand that.

Touché: (in fencing) used as an acknowledgement of a hit by one's opponent.

What did you think it meant?
                    She thought you called me a douche

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      She thought you called me a douche
                      not sure anyone would want you cleaning their feminine areas.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X