• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2% sounds like a bargain!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

The likes of Sinclair were hugely successful in the UK and virtually nowhere else. If the EU had existed then, and Sinclair could have been as popular across the whole of what is now the EU they'd have been bigger than Microsoft, bigger than Apple, bigger than IBM. As it was when the UK market dried up they had nothing else and everyone went bust overnight. All the British boffins took their expertise to the US to work for companies not so encumbered by the island monkey mentality that still holds back the UK.
    Bit of both... the reason is if a Brit company is successful then the owners will sell it on (possibly to Yanks) and retire to somewhere sunny

ARM may be an exception to this

Americans will take it to a Global level
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

we invented a lot of the technology but when it came to making a profit out of it the yanks plagiarised
      FTFY

Not heard of ARM then? (Originally Acorn Risc Machines)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        GDP - European Union generates a GDP (nominal) of about €14.3 trillion (US$18.5 trillion in 2014) and a GDP (PPP) of about €12.7 trillion (US$16.8 trillion in 2014)

Population and hence market EU is bigger 508 mil vs 322mil

Think the real reason is the Yanks don't spend all day dicking about on CUK
        Yanks don't hold IT contracting as a type of person to be revered, more of an Office Angels sort of level.
        Besides, we need to throttle our output so we only look twice as good as the permies on the project.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          FTFY

I just said that ... KUATB
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

FTFY

ever heard of 'The exception that proves the rule'?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

FTFY

Isn't ARM only successful because they license their chip design so anyone who pays can make them? I'm pretty sure if they kept manufacture in-house and tried competing with Intel head-on they'd have been conquered long ago...

Comment

Upon Brexit (which will never happen anyway, what a waste of money etc but I'll entertain the notion) how are UK Ltd company contractors working in the EU going to be affected?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Interesting point but why are all dominant IT companies mainly Yanks? are start-ups easier over there?
                  Now that topic is a thread in it's own right.

But consider this as an example : Uber, which essentially facilitates ride-sharing, and is set to dominate ride-sharing ( and probably in the long-term deliveries ) globally has raised $10,000,000,000 in funding. If you had the bright-idea to do ride-sharing do you think that the UK investment community would have lent you $1,000,000?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Upon Brexit (which will never happen anyway, what a waste of money etc but I'll entertain the notion) how are UK Ltd company contractors working in the EU going to be affected?
                    Badly. They'll be easy targets.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      I don't imagine it will make a huge difference TBH. I've worked with US companies* and it was just fine, and I rather suspect some very open UK-EU agreements would be drawn up to avoid both sides a load of ball-ache.

*working remotely, I should concede
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X