• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the interesting opinions on the matter. I shall start budgeting for setting things up

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      I'm a C# developer with a pretty high first class degree in computer science from a very good uni (also 94+ in all modules related to software engineering). I have worked for 3 IT companies already (roughly 2 years in total now, all .NET related experience). Rather than going for a permie job after graduating - is it feasible to attempt to swim the contractor waters? I have a bit of money saved up so could potentially survive upto 6 months of no pay/set up costs etc. If this is possible - what kind of challenges should I expect/research? Thanks!
      The first thing you will need is an agent. As you are so young it is best you give him 50% of your income to look after for you. email your CV to [email protected]
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

50% of your income
        Special offer for beginners, then
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Please call time on this thread.

It's clear the answer is a big fat 'NO', if its good money you're after.

Not long ago I met a 'consultant' as they called themselves after leaving graduating a year earlier. We're doomed I tell yeh.
          Was it a recruitment 'consultant'? The number of those guys who press you to connect on LinkedIn, and have their previous position as 'Chicken Flipper at Nandos' or similar is incredible.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

It's very likely (obviously i can't know for certain your own circumstances) that what you've learned at uni is mostly 10 years out of date and for the most part void of all real world pragmatism.

So I don't really see why you'd want to go contracting? If you have a good degree from a good university, then that is worth a lot more to a company hiring graduates. People paying well for contractors want (real world) experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              So I don't really see why you'd want to go contracting? If you have a good degree from a good university, then that is worth a lot more to a company hiring graduates. People paying well for contractors want (real world) experience.
              Which is why most UK companies look to India. Where else can you find a Masters Degree educated young chap with 10 years experience of 5 year old technologies for giveaway rates?

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Which is why most UK companies look to India. Where else can you find a Masters Degree educated young chap with 0 years experience of any technologies for giveaway rates?
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you hire a contract programmer with a first class maths degree and no long term experience at a company you run a grave risk of being left with software that no-one can support. They need the junior position with regular code reviews to dumb down to the average level.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                    If you hire a contract programmer with a first class maths degree and no long term experience at a company you run a grave risk of being left with software that no-one can support. They need the junior position with regular code reviews to dumb down to the average level.
                    PHP Code:
                    #include <ncurses.h>/*****************************************************/

int               m[256                   ] [         256   ],a

,b   ;;;   ;;;   WINDOW*w;   char*l=""   "\176qxl"   "q"   "q"   "k"   "w\
                    xm"   "x"   "t"         "j"         "v"         "u"         "n"         
                    ,Q[
                     ]=   
                    "Z"   "pt!ftd`"   "qdc!`eu"   "dq!$c!nnwf"/**   ***   */"t\040\t";c(
                    int   u ,         int         v){                     v?m   [u]         [v-

1]   |=2,m[u][v-1] &   48?W][v-1   ] &   15]]):0:0;u?m[u   -1][v]|=1   ,m[

u-               1][   v]&         48?               W-1   ][v         ]&
                    15]   ]):0:0;v<   255   ?m[   u][v+1]|=8,m[u][v+1]&   48?   W][   v+1]&15]]
                    ):
                    0         :0;         <               255   ?m[   u+1         ][v   ]|=
                    4,m[u+1][   v]&48?W+1][v]&15]]):0:0;W][   v]&   15]   ]);}cu(char*q){   return
                    q               ?cu   (q+         1)&         1?q   [0]               ++:
                    q[0   ]--   :1;   }d(   int   u ,   int/**/v,   int/**/x,   int   y){   int
                    Y
                    =y   -v,   X=x         -u;   int         S,s   ;Y<         0?Y   =-Y   ,s,
                    s=-   1:(   s=1);X<0?X=-X,S   =-1  :(S=   1);   Y<<=   1;X<<=1;   if(X>Y){
                    int   f=Y               -(X   >>1   );;               while(u!=         x){
                    f>=   0?v+=s,f-=X:0;u   +=S   ;f+=   Y;m[u][v]|=32;mvwaddch(w,v   ,u,   m[u

][               v]&   64?   60:         46)         ;if         (m[   u][
                    v]&16){c(u,v);;   ;;;   ;;;   return;}}   }else{int   f=X   -(Y>>1);;   while
                     (
                    v   !=y         ){f   >=0         ?u   +=S,               f-=         Y:0

;v   +=s   ;f+=X;m[u][v]|=   32;mvwaddch(w,v   ,u,m[u][v]&64?60:46);if(m[u

][                     v]&         16)   {c(   u,v                     );
                      ;   return;;;}}}}
                    Z(   int/**/a,   int   b){   }e(   int/**/y,int/**/  x){
                    int               i ;         for         (i=         a;i               <=a
                    +S;i++)d(y,x,i,b),d(y,x,i,b+L);for(i=b;i<=b+L;i++)d(y,x,a,i),d(y,x,a+   S,i

);                     ;;;         ;;;         ;;;               ;;;   ;

mvwaddch(w,x,y,64);   ;;;   ;;;   ;;;   prefresh(   w,b,a,0,0   ,L-   1,S-1
                    );}             main(         int               V ,   char              *C[
                      ]   ){
                    FILE*f=   fopen(V==1?"arachnid.c"/**/   :C[   1],"r");int/**/x,y,c,
                    v=0         ;;;      initscr              ();               Z(Z         (raw

()   ,Z(   curs_set(0),Z(1   ,noecho()))),keypad(    stdscr,TRUE));w   =newpad

(   300,  300               ) ;   for         (x=   255   x   >=0   ;x--
                      )   for   (
                    y=   255   ;y>=0;y--   )m[   x][   y]=   0;x=y=0;refresh( );while
                      (   (
                    c=                           fgetc (f)   )+1)                    {if(
                    0||c==10||  x==   256){x=0;y++;if(y==256  )break;;}   else{m[x][y]=(c   ==
                    '~'   ?64   c   ==32              ?0:         16)   ;;x               ++;
                          }}for(
                    x=0   ;x<   256;x++)m   [x][0]=16   ,m[   x][   255]=16;for(y=0
                    ;y<         256   y         ++)   m[0         ][y   ] =               16,
                    m[255][y]   =16   ;a=b=c=0;   x=y   =1;   do{v++;mvwaddch   (w,   y,x   ,m[
                    x][         y]&               32?   m[x                     ][y   ] &   16?

0|   acs_map[l[m[x][y]&15]]:46 :   32);c==0163&&!(m[x][y+1]&16)?y++:   0;c

==   119         &&!         (m[                                       x][

y-   1]&   16)   ?y--:0;;c   ==97  &&!(m[x-1][y]&16)?x--:0;c==100&&!(m[x+1

][   y]&   16)         ? x   ++:0              ;if(                    c==

3-   1+1   ){endwin(   );;   return(0)   ;}x   -a<5?a>S-   5?a-=S-5:(a=0):
                    0;x               -a>         S-5?a<255   -S*         2?a               +=S
                    -5:(a=256-S):0;   y-b<5?b>L-5?b-=L-5:(b   =0)   :0;   y-b>L-5?b<255-L   *2?
                    b+=                                       L-5   :(b                     =256
                    -L)   :0;e(x,y);if(m[x][y]&64)break;}while((c=getch())!=-1);endwin();cu(Q);
                    printf(Q,v);} 
                    Come on, own up your clever little Oxbridge chunt, who wrote this? It's like trying to work your way through a maze!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Come on, own up your clever little Oxbridge chunt, who wrote this? It's like trying to work your way through a maze!

No, you are mistaken, those codes were written by someone on the offshore team.
                      I was wondering where they had got to.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X