• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bleak Christmas for low paid permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your compassion speaks volumes

Originally posted by Pig
    No personal interest just don't like seeing people lose their money, would be like my client not paying me, think I would be more than a little upset. But unlike their clients I can cover the loses just would not be happy about it.

Belief me I'm just as selfish but a good percentage of the population can not get loans / credit cards. Where as saving the money in the bank and be strong willed enough not to touch is a rarity. And savings stamps are redeemable anytime so again you need a strong will. I could probably manage it but that's coz I don't like spending money!!!
    for your upbringing. If you really want to help people in this situation, then set up a bank account and run a thrift-club. If you raise enough money you could even make a small profit from interest as cash accumulates through the year.
    However, Alexei is correct (you live long enough you see everything once at least), in that it's not up to you to save people from their circumstances, and you should not have a go at Alexei for pointing that out.
    Why not?

Comment

Well, I did some maths and worked out that 107,000 (according to reports in the media) had lost out. Assuming they each put in £30 a month (and some put in a lot more, like £50-75), then

£30 x 12 x 107,000 = £38,520,000

Now, considering the Euro Millions lottery jackpot this weekend is up to 95 million Euros (approx £63 million quid), if I won the jackpot, then I would personally ensure that each of those 107,000 got a proper xmas dinner and some festive sparkle at this time of year. I'd still have £25 million to retire on, which is a ludicrous amount of money. It's a win-win all round.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

107,000??? Surely not!

Comment

Very funny!

If they had a credit card why would they be saving in a Christmas club?

tim

I thought exactly the same thing, but these things are wasted on AtW.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I love the way these things are marketed as 'hampers' conjuring up all sorts of image of foie gras, truffles, exotic meats and champagne. I did some work with one of these hamper scheme companies once and the reality is they are delivered in a cardboard box and contain a canned turkey joint, a can of ham, some mince pies and then loads of cans of Stella / Kestrel Super, a couple of bottles of Lambrini and maybe a bottle of Cinzano.

The Marketing Director himself used to refer to them by names such as the 'Deluxe Wife-beater Special'.

Oh, and the contents are usually worth about 50-60% of the money you put in. The rest is Collector's commission.

Nice business if you can get it.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

That post depressed me more than usual for some reason, Alf...

The futility of poverty, eh?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W

Nice business if you can get it.

Therefore the interesting question is why they went bust?

Comment

Threaded worked there and ate all the (mince) pies.

HTH

Comment

BGG, current estimates put the figure upto 350k which if true means quadrupling your figures. But question is where is the money? Even allowing for acquisitions and expenses there is a lot missing.

MF, my point exactly but atw just wasn't listening
                    Last edited by Pig; 18 October 2006, 07:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X