• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leave money in business account for mortage deposit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave money in business account for mortage deposit

Hi .

Is it better to leave money that will be used as a deposit for a mortgage in your business account or better to start taking it out and putting it into a savings or your main current account?

Whats peoples views on this?

If i leave it in business account and take out say 100k, does that mean that i will then also have to pay 30/40% tax on that ie 30/40k as tax dividends?

Why don't you ask you accountant what the most efficient method is depending on your timescales and your personal situation. Dunno how you expect to get a straight answer with only half the bloody details. Jesus.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonneymendoza View Post
      Hi .

Is it better to leave money that will be used as a deposit for a mortgage in your business account or better to start taking it out and putting it into a savings or your main current account?

If i leave it in business account and take out say 100k, does that mean that i will then also have to pay 30/40% tax on that ie 30/40k as tax dividends?
      You'll have to pay 7% dividend tax after April. Thats' even baefore you start to think about tax bands!

When I'm taking out a large chunk I tend to split it over 2 financial years s0 if I want £10k I'll take the £10k now, declare half as a divined and the opther half as a loan and raise a peper dividend for it in the following financial year.

I hope this hepls.

Comment

Hi .

Give me the 100K, I will be more than happy to look after it for you
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Hi .

You really do need to talk to your accountant about this. Get them to explain tax liabilities on dividends as they are going to change from April next year.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Personally I take the money out when I can and stick it in an ISA. At least it earns some interest then. Also huge cash reserves in the business seems an easy grab for HMRC?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Have you got a company debit card? Just start taking it out from a cash machine a couple of hundred quid at a time and keep it under the bed. Then you won't have to pay any tax.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hi .

If you declare dividends you do not have to physically pay them. They can be nominally paid to the directors current account and wait there until drawn. Obviously the value of them needs to be declared on you SATR and could lead to additional tax dependant upon the value.

If you simply declar 100k in one year then yes, obviously you will be taxed accordingly so there with be tax to pay on the amount beyond the basic rate band and any special dividend tax to pay.

It might be worth looking at a help to buy ISA, whilst the amounts that can be put in are no great (1k plus 200/month) you can get 4% gross, also a 25% bonus max 3k when buying that first property.

Certainly if the funds are available it would be sensible to declare dividends to a level which uses your basic rate band.

Further down the line if there are significan retained funds you might want to consider MVL and the extraction of funds through the capital taxes regime to reduce exposure, but for this you need to be at least theoretically ceasing trade.

There is no easy strategy. But if you get the cash you pay the tax. Beyond your basic rate you are going to be paying something at some point.

Comment

Quality thanks,

some good info here. will also ask my accountant about this.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Have you got a company debit card? Just start taking it out from a cash machine a couple of hundred quid at a time and keep it under the bed. Then you won't have to pay any tax.
                    I knew a few contractors that had offshore accounts and this is how they spent the money without declaring it or any UK paperwork showing transactions. I guess the systems are smarter these days and HMR&C are linked to every cash machine in the UK now.

Comment

Working...
                    X