• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressed: Back to the grind stone, who's working this weekend ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think, Milan, you miss the essential point of what life is all about. You might be run over by a bus tomorrow. While it's quite right and proper to put aside something for the future, you are wasting the best part of your life to achieve something that might be fleeting and illusory, or never happen.

Comment

I worked 270 days one year, lots of weekends, I found you can do fine if you get one day off but working all weekend starts to grind you down after a few weeks. The money did pour in, but it didn't make me any happier and I ended up blowing it on a flash car when I should have invested/bought property. That was a mistake that might have set me up now and for the future but unless I can borrow threaded's TM then I don't beat myself up about it. I still had plenty of time for fun (there are evenings !).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        I think, Milan, you miss the essential point of what life is all about. You might be run over by a bus tomorrow. While it's quite right and proper to put aside something for the future, you are wasting the best part of your life to achieve something that might be fleeting and illusory, or never happen.
        Too much wisdom for Milan, LB. Now, he will have wisdom indigestion. Btw, I see you identify well with the Simpsons character, I was quite right.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          I see you identify well with the Simpsons character, I was quite right.
          I liked the avatar!

Do you know, I did actually go to Merton Abbey Mills yesterday afternoon while strolling with my wife and son, but did not go in the William Morris (or the KFC)!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
            I worked 270 days one year, lots of weekends, I found you can do fine if you get one day off but working all weekend starts to grind you down after a few weeks. The money did pour in, but it didn't make me any happier and I ended up blowing it on a flash car when I should have invested/bought property. That was a mistake that might have set me up now and for the future but unless I can borrow threaded's TM then I don't beat myself up about it. I still had plenty of time for fun (there are evenings !).
            I found myself a contract with a juicy daily rate and decided to make hay while the sun shines and work as much as possible while it lasted. 14 months without a break (but rarely working weekends) later found myself burned out, depressed and separated from the wife. Obviously would do things differently if I did it again. People contract for the money but it's not the be all and end all, only takes one crisis in your life to put things in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              And how is Little Damien?

Has he reached the Goldfish Bowl stage yet?

Has the nanny hanged herself?
              Progressing nicely (or badly, depending on your point of view).

Oh yes, the nanny's long gone. I'm waiting for the winter now so we can schedule that ice hockey game.

Comment

I'm just about to hit the deployment phase for part of my current project, so I've got a few weekends booked for it. Anyway, I'm in the process of buying a house, so each saturday worked means a little bit extra money for the house.

Plus my Girlfriend is a free-loading uni student!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  time will tell

anyway, until you get above a certain threshold it isn't worth having jack anyway, as you'll have too much to get handouts and not enough to live from

from next summer I'll be doing less weekends

what about the rest of you ?

anyone else trying to make hay while the sun shines, get some wedge in the bank before 40 ? or are you all too old to have goals like this ?

I suppose the key is too start contracting at as young an age as possible.

Milan.
                  He who would accumulate much wealth , he has much to lose !

Comment

Weekend off

No work, No DIY (yep I'm a poor permie now - well most of the time what my slave masters doesn't know won't hurt them).

Kiddies party, dinner with the in laws, grass growing supervision. Great!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X