• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK energy future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    In the interests of fairness I'll give him a chance.

Please tell me exactly what I can do to help stop the tide of doom.

I currently run a 6 litre V12 and heat a 300m2 building on gas and wood. And I fart quite a bit, but not as much as the wife.
    Individual changes in behaviour are good, but its macro-policies that will, or more likely not, avoid dangerous GW. You could start by stop broadcasting the thought that its all a big scam/fraud and the IPCC have got it all wrong (you never provided a single failed prediction ISTR).
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

You didn't address my question in any way. You get one more go.
      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

You didn't address my question in any way. You get one more go.
        The 5 telltale techniques of climate change denial - CNN.com

No. 3.

Comment

Telling me how I can help is an impossible expectation? Twat.
          I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            Individual changes in behaviour are good, but its macro-policies that will, or more likely not, avoid dangerous GW. You could start by stop broadcasting the thought that its all a big scam/fraud and the IPCC have got it all wrong (you never provided a single failed prediction ISTR).
            Alternatively you could stop undermining your credibility by grabbing any opportunity to promote your cause.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

How about solution denial?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It will tell me if you are a mature person .
                Hmmm.

Excuse me however I doubt your good faith; if you are sincere, you could find the answer yourself from Professor Google or any environmental campaigning organisation in thirty seconds. But I think you are actually looking for cheap debating points.

Tell you what, find me a failed IPCC prediction, and I will help you find a greener lifestyle ....

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  Hmmm.

Excuse me however I doubt your good faith; if you are sincere, you could find the answer yourself from Professor Google or any environmental campaigning organisation in thirty seconds. But I think you are actually looking for cheap debating points.

Tell you what, find me a failed IPCC prediction, and I will help you find a greener lifestyle ....

There's one.

Naturally you'll want to tell us this is a lie, but the truth is this is why it's "climate change" today instead of "global warming".

Anyway, you have now sidestepped my invitation for even a small-scale one-man solution. We're done here. tulip, you could just have said "get a smaller car" and you'd have held onto a modicum of respect. But no, got to carry on shoving it down everyone's throat.
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Naturally you'll want to tell us this is a lie.
                    That's from the SPPI, which is basically a vehicle for Christopher Monckton (Viscount Monckton of Benchley), who at the risk of an ad hom, in my opinion blew what little credibility he might have had a long tome ago. You don't give the source and I am not going to bother tracking down this particular graph as he pushes them out on a regular basis and incorporates variations on the various tricks to make the IPCC models look bad

1. Misrepresent the IPCC either by using an extreme scenario that did not actually transpire or simply plucking numbers out of the air.
                    2. Cherry pick a short period when the models and temperature diverge. A 7 year trend has no statistical validity
                    3. Compare apples and oranges, here I think he is averaging the surface with the troposphere.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...-manipulation/
                    Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page: It works

Looks like you got suckered.

If I were to have recommended downsizing your car, I suspect I would have been met with derision (this is what I meant by 'impossible expectations'), along the lines of 'too little too late'. With some justification, if everyone in the UK were to switch to Nissan Leafs or go to work by bike tomorrow, well I might be a few car-lengths ahead in the jam but the effect on emissions would be insignificant. I am not saying such small scale changes in personal behaviour are not worth doing - and as I said, any policy that would significantly reduce our standard of living is doomed - but they risk taking the pressure off Governments to make the macro level changes required.

I mean: homes and businesses powered by low-carbon power electricity, a joined-up transport policy (e.g. aviation fuel attracts zero VAT or fuel duty - why?), meaningful incentives to industry to switch to low-carbon alternatives, commitment to international emissions reduction agreements. Etc etc.

If your Damascan conversion is genuine, I recommend this: Heat | George Monbiot

Comment

"get a smaller car"
                      Does anybody seriously put this forward as helping the problem (if it is one) ?

I wonder how that can ever help. Given the materials and emissions in vehicle production how relevant are the emissions made during its use in it's natural life. Sure there is a break even point somewhere but how one can calculate it I have no idea. Also unless the downgraded vehicle is destroyed at the point of change it will still be in use somewhere for some time. So trading in for that more efficient smaller vehicle produce a net increase - for some time at least

If we all switch to a prius we'll be totally clean at the point of use. But what will the net effect be including the production of the underlying power somewhere else, the distribution of it, the use of resource in construction of the generation capacity and vehicles etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X