• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK energy future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Because even the dumb ones would know they were full of it then.
    Oxygen is a too optimistic and benevolent word to associate with something that is intended to conjure up fear.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 23 November 2015, 14:09.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Or because we only have a problem because when fossil fuel carbon is combined with atmospheric oxygen it produces CO2, and because reversing the process - sequestration - usually involves separating the oxygen and storing the carbon in carbonate animal skeletons, trees or other biomass, or carbonate rocks.

Sheesh.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Or because we only have a problem because when fossil fuel carbon is combined with atmospheric oxygen it produces CO2, and because reversing the process - sequestration - usually involves separating the oxygen and storing the carbon in carbonate animal skeletons, trees or other biomass, or carbonate rocks.

Sheesh.
        Have you heard of photosynthesis?

Would it occur to you that the problem can be solved by creating more of it?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Sheesh.

ooh me ribs

there you have it folks.
          carbon dioxide is not a problem. It's only when we produce it that it becomes a problem
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Have you heard of photosynthesis?

Would it occur to you that the problem can be solved by creating more of it?
            We'd have to plant the trees. They don't grow on their own.

Never mind that the CO2 we're producing by burning fossil fuels started out as CO2 being used by plants which fed animals both of which died and sank and became....oh wait, it looks like the planet has it covered.

Who'd have thought our help is not required.
            Last edited by LucidDementia; 23 November 2015, 14:16.
            I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Can we send Gore to Gitmo now?
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                We'd have to plant the trees. They don't grow on their own.

Never mind that the CO2 we're producing by burning fossil fuels started out as CO2 being used by plants which fed animals both of which died and sank and became....oh wait, it looks like the planet has it covered.

Who'd have thought our help is not required.
                Well, we're effectively short-circuiting the cycle that has been in equilibrium for millenia, naturally the hydrocarbons stay put on that timescale, they do not spontaneously rise to the surface and combust. But who knows, maybe James Lovelock is right ...
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Well, we're effectively short-circuiting the cycle that has been in equilibrium for millenia, naturally the hydrocarbons stay put on that timescale, they do not spontaneously rise to the surface and combust. But who knows, maybe James Lovelock is right ...
                  You people are SO obtuse.

We are part and parcel of that cycle. Imbecilic. Just imbecilic.
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    A quick chemistry lesson PJ

Carbon dioxide is one molecule of carbon and two molecules of oxygen

i.e. there are twice as many oxygen molecules in that gas.

why don't you call it Oxygen pollution ?
                    I think you're onto a loser here EO. Let's look at a comparable example in food labelling. Salt is something which you should not ingest too much of, so food shows how much is in. But it typically shows the amount of sodium by mass, even though this comes from salt - the chlorine isn't listed though sometimes the "equivalent salt" weight is.

Of all the arguments to pick with climate science, this isn't a good one.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I think you're onto a loser here EO. Let's look at a comparable example in food labelling. Salt is something which you should not ingest too much of, so food shows how much is in. But it typically shows the amount of sodium by mass, even though this comes from salt - the chlorine isn't listed though sometimes the "equivalent salt" weight is.

Of all the arguments to pick with climate science, this isn't a good one.
                      It's nothing to do with climate science and everything to do with sloppy thinking and poor use of language.
                      You know the old saying from Aristotle - 'Dickwad in one thing, Dickwad in all'
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X