• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do when your confidence is shot.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Excelling as a permie and chinning your line manager before taking a dump in the HR Directors desk drawer, can often be a fine line out of your control. Never take it personal.

Watch a few Rocky vids on YouTube.
    FTFY
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Loser!

HTH

MarillionFan
      Hang on. I should have posted this ;-)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Hang on. I should have posted this ;-)
        Easily done, old chap, especially with that jet setting, champagne socialite, life you lead
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Do the opposite, take something that scares you, confidence comes from tackling a challenge and beating it, not hiding away

Put down the beefburger fatso.

Comment

About 3 months ago, just after my mother died, a friend was telling me to pick myself up.

Recently she got made redundant. Her confidence shot to bits. I reminded her of the conversation!

It is tough. Really really tough.

Personally I get a divorce, put on a batman outfit, get banned, see my shrink, bleed the radiators and watch a gladiator film. Try it! Works every time.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              About 3 months ago, just after my mother died, a friend was telling me to pick myself up.

Recently she got made redundant. Her confidence shot to bits. I reminded her of the conversation!

It is tough. Really really tough.

Personally I get a divorce, put on a batman outfit, get banned, see my shrink, bleed the radiators and watch a gladiator film. Try it! Works every time.....
              Do you not feel that being able to run/cycle/swim for 24 hours just blows away confidence concerns? Or is that a mechanism to cope with confidence?

Comment

I can understand that. It's not for everyone.

I've gone permie 3 times in the last 20 years all from
                Contract and all when id become SME

First time back in 1999 lasted about six months. I contracted there for two years, went permie as a manager and became foul of politic. That time instead I got a 10k payoff and went off and opened my shop

Next in 2005, a year and a half as a contractor. Two more as permie in the U.S. And became a senior manager. I quit when the constant changes of boss and politics became a faff, I didn't like my latest boss. Three months after quitting they got fired. Confidence hit a rock bottom and I went back contracting

Last time is now. Again startup offer, one year as a contractor 3 as permie, now director with 15 staff and four functions. Politics a main in the arse, but I know play the game and I have the confidence to ride out the bumps. Worst judge of my performance is me and I bounce between highs and lows quite regularly. The trick is to stayed balanced and to build confidence by delivering

If you're miserable now then a tulipty PM role won't do it. Do the opposite, take something that scares you, confidence comes from tackling a challenge and beating it, not hiding away
                And you ended up becoming a troll. Nice ...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Do you not feel that being able to run/cycle/swim for 24 hours just blows away confidence concerns? Or is that a mechanism to cope with confidence?
                  Depends whether he can don the Batman outfit and bleed a radiator at the same time, as the 24 hour endurance.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I took me 9 months to get up to the 18 miles a day 7 days a week running for the MDS training, for 8 months I failed to consistently finish the distance day after day. By the end I was a 100+ mile runner not through ability but just bloody minded stupidity.

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." as Edison said.

Hard work pays off.

Comment

Plan B is now a success.

"I don't want see you to waste your time" said the wife.

"you should go back to contracting" said the accountant

I never wanted to make that much money from this venture, I just wanted to prove I'm something more that a contracting slave.

Comment

Working...
                      X