• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job offer cant decide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offer cant decide

So I can't make my mind up so its time to ask randoms, I've written all the pros and cons out and its about 50/50, one morning gut says go with A the next go with B.

I've got a job offer permy, I'm already permy, I applied for this other job before I knew gf was pregnant and her getting pregnant is making this hard decision whether to take new job. Current permy job money is ok and I get a lot of flexibility, late starts, working from home and no stress from my manager, bonus and pay rises due Feb next year. I like it here but it doesn't really stretch me and there is no real chance of becoming manager, office move in Jan means my commute will go down from 2.5hrs a day to about 1.5hrs.

The new job is about 12% more £ as base, but as I lose bonus if I left current job overall I'm flat. New job is more senior / leadership role, it would be step up for me in seniority wise not that I want to be more senior but I want more £ and this is the only way to get it. In my sector / skill set its the most senior job I've seen and highest paying I've seen ever, so I fear this might be my one opportunity. The commute is same as I currently have 2.5hrs a day.

If it wasn't for baby due in April, I would without hesitation take the new job, but now with baby coming I'm thinking I need the flexibility / shorter commute from my current job, but on the flip side as I mentioned the job I got offered is a one off really, if I don't take I could regret it its a career changer type of role, if I do take it though I might not be able to enjoy fully the babies first few months as I will be trying to set a good impression in new job. New job would start early Jan baby due early April.

What would you do.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    So I can't make my mind up so its time to ask randoms, I've written all the pros and cons out and its about 50/50, one morning gut says go with A the next go with B.

I've got a job offer permy, I'm already permy, I applied for this other job before I knew gf was pregnant and her getting pregnant is making this hard decision whether to take new job. Current permy job money is ok and I get a lot of flexibility, late starts, working from home and no stress from my manager, bonus and pay rises due Feb next year. I like it here but it doesn't really stretch me and there is no real chance of becoming manager, office move in Jan means my commute will go down from 2.5hrs a day to about 1.5hrs.

The new job is about 12% more £ as base, but as I lose bonus if I left current job overall I'm flat. New job is more senior / leadership role, it would be step up for me in seniority wise not that I want to be more senior but I want more £ and this is the only way to get it. In my sector / skill set its the most senior job I've seen and highest paying I've seen ever, so I fear this might be my one opportunity. The commute is same as I currently have 2.5hrs a day.

If it wasn't for baby due in April, I would without hesitation take the new job, but now with baby coming I'm thinking I need the flexibility / shorter commute from my current job, but on the flip side as I mentioned the job I got offered is a one off really, if I don't take I could regret it its a career changer type of role, if I do take it though I might not be able to enjoy fully the babies first few months as I will be trying to set a good impression in new job. New job would start early Jan baby due early April.

What would you do.
    Take the one which gives the agent the most commission
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Toss a coin.

Before it lands you will know the answer you are hoping for.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Stick with current job. You will need the flexibility and the current job is known, no nasty surprises, you have currency at current job.

To me it's a no brainer. The other role offers nothing but more risk and hassle.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I think the flexibility you enjoy now is worth it's weight in gold and more.

Also starting a new gig with a new baby means there is a good chance you won't be able to perform to you full standard and that's going to be very hard to shake off if you want to progress.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What would you do.
            You probably won't know which is the right answer until about 6 months after you've lived whatever decision you make. I had 2 thoughts reading that.

1) 12% doesn't seem that much for a once in a lifetime opportunity. People change jobs for that and more than that all the time

2) Once in a lifetime opportunities are seldom that. It's impossible to know what other opportunities are just around the corner

Comment

+1 stick where you are.
              +1 there will always be other opportunities.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Techncally it's the gf pregnant but you are both pregnant = stay where you are or you will P off the new team with flexibility demands, I have seen it soooo many times before.

Comment

Stay. How would you deal with being canned during the probation period?

Comment

I get a lot of flexibility, late starts, working from home and no stress from my manager
                    There's your answer right there.
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                    X