• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are pedestrian fast lanes a good idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It would be nicer not to have people walking 3 abreast to block footpaths, aisles, etc. If it's a narrow path and busy, how about allowing others move in the other direction?
    This .

Also, I always get infuriated by the look you get given by a mobile tw@tter / texting drone when they almost walk directly into you.
    They look at you like it was your fault that they almost walked into you, FFS

Or joggers, who think they have right away and whistle at you to get out of the way, because they just can't stop jogging
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I have a special bike horn for people like this that walk 3-> 6 abreast on shared lanes.

I have a polite "ding ding" for warning people I'm cycling along a restricted lane. I have an air raid siren for when I get close. One or the other works.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I got stuck behind a couple holding hands yesterday lunchtime. Which is all very lovely and everything, but they were walking slowly and taking up the entire footpath.

If you want to be in love that's great, but do it on your own time FFS!

How hard is it to politely say "excuse me"?

I suppose it's not a BAD idea but does seem pretty ridiculous. It's not difficult to walk fast through crowded streets... you just have to pay attention. Even in London.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          How hard is it to politely say "excuse me"?
          I always feel self-consciously English doing that. "I say...". "Would you mind awfully...", "Would you mind dear boy...". Plus it means having to interact with other humans.

Judging by the way people here treat what's clearly designated as a cycle lane as a place to talk about the weather, let their children play and walk their dogs the chances of a pedestrian fast lane working are zero. I've often thought about putting a cow catcher on the front of my bike.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Judging by the way people here treat what's clearly designated as a cycle lane as a place to talk about the weather, let their children play and walk their dogs the chances of a pedestrian fast lane working are zero. I've often thought about putting a cow catcher on the front of my bike.

Perhaps it's because the last place anyone expects to see a cyclist is in a cycle lane. They're much more likely to be on the pavement, jumping red lights, shouting at pedestrians on zebra crossings, or any of the more usual places for bicycles.

Comment

Looks like a publicity stunt by Argos to promote their new Fast track system.

And as evident in the the article photos, people will just ignore them and/or walk against the direction indicated...

Comment

Working...
              X