• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension, or not to be....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're a contractor. No contract no work.

If you are direct with the client and have a good relationship with them, then ask what the delay is and explain that you will need something in writing if they want you to stay on. If you have a very good relationship with them and they tell you it's because the final signatory on a contract is away, and you know this to be true, then I'd probably say stay.

If you are through an agent, ask them. Get them to take the risk and the heat. If they tell you to stay, get the contract signed with them (they will probably not want to give you a contract, but if they don't, then don't work for them). If they tell you to go, make sure the client is aware that you are being told to go.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you are direct with the client and have a good relationship with them, then ask what the delay is and explain that you will need something in writing if they want you to stay on. If you have a very good relationship with them and they tell you it's because the final signatory on a contract is away, and you know this to be true, then I'd probably say stay.

If you are through an agent, ask them. Get them to take the risk and the heat. If they tell you to stay, get the contract signed with them (they will probably not want to give you a contract, but if they don't, then don't work for them). If they tell you to go, make sure the client is aware that you are being told to go.
      I wish I had said that
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Fortunately, it's simple where I'm currently working. If your pass doesn't work on Contract End +1, you haven't had an extension.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

FTFY.
          Fortunately, it's simple where I'm currently working. If your pass doesn't work on Contract End +1, either you haven't had an extension, or HR have fooked up more than usual.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Oooh, I don't know about that. For one of my contracts I have no contract and get paid, and get expenses, and get both quarterly and yearly bonuses, and get trips to the USA where I have my own office. I did the same once before and that lasted for more than 7 years....The only things I've signed are some NDA's
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Oooh, I don't know about that. For one of my contracts I have no contract and get paid, and get expenses, and get both quarterly and yearly bonuses, and get trips to the USA where I have my own office. I did the same once before and that lasted for more than 7 years....The only things I've signed are some NDA's

If you get quarterly and yearly bonuses and have your own office on the client site, then you're not a contractor. You're a permie.
              To be a contractor, you work because you have signed a contract to do the work. Without the contract, you're just an OR.

Comment

If you get quarterly and yearly bonuses and have your own office on the client site, then you're not a contractor. You're a permie....
                Nope.

Also a contract need not be written. So your other point is rubbish too.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Nope.

Also a contract need not be written. So your other point is rubbish too.
                  True, can be verbal or written.
                  Agreed, you could get a bonus if scheduled work is completed before time, for example. This certainly wouldn't make you a permy.
                  Desk or office? Doesn't really matter, IMO, most contractors have an allocated space at Client Co, unless they purely work remotely.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I most humbly apologise, I should have used the term "agreed" rather than "signed".

As for the bonuses, receiving them quarterly and annually would tend to imply they are tied to dates rather than specific project deliverables.

Comment

As for the bonuses, receiving them quarterly and annually would tend to imply they are tied to dates rather than specific project deliverables.
                      Playing Devils Advocate, You might receive them on a certain date, but that does not mean a more complex structure does not sit underneath, tied to the deliverables.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X