• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kapitalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes, they can choose to go bankrupt instead.
    Yes they can. And if it is not worth their while doing so then that is what happens.

That's capitalism. The most effective method of allocating societies resources to where society wants them.

Comment

Well it was no surprise the supermarkets were going to abuse their suppliers.

Many have chosen not to supply supermarkets or diversify.

All the businesses I have worked for or with that had >50% of their business with one customer have eventually regretted it. Many ignored counsel to use the money to pursue business with others.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        They grow, become too powerful and abuse their position. That is when (or just after) the Government should step in.
        Do you have any examples where they abuse their position (to maintain a monopoly to the detriment of the consumer), where that abuse hasn't been facilitated by government imposed barriers to entry or outright cronyism? Because in the real world it just doesn't work like that.

Comment

Failure is not a bad thing in a free economy.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Well it was no surprise the supermarkets were going to abuse their suppliers.

Many have chosen not to supply supermarkets or diversify.

All the businesses I have worked for or with that had >50% of their business with one customer have eventually regretted it. Many ignored counsel to use the money to pursue business with others.
            Precisely. They were poor business men & women. You can't blame retailers for the failure of bad business people. Otherwise i should just open my own supply business right now and make a fortune, as is my right - apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              That's how you get to go on the benefits system
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Yes they can. And if it is not worth their while doing so then that is what happens.

That's capitalism. The most effective method of allocating societies resources to where society wants them.
                How does me as a consumer wanting product X stop a supermarket deciding they won't stock product X unless the producer pays their kick-backs?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For me capitalism should be about success based on merit and a free market. If some big companies have too much power they can use it to maintain their own success at the expense of those things. Afford to lower their prices, not just as a result of supply and demand, but simply to shut out what could otherwise be effective competition.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Failure is not just, "not a bad thing". It is vital.

Imagine if you had a society where everything was supported and kept going by the state. What would happen is you would end up with lots of inefficient, zombie companies, producing stuff nobody wanted at a price that nobody was prepared to pay.

I think the problem isn't capitalism but peoples perception of how capitalism behaves. We all see these adverts all the time from companies and everything is presented as nice-and-happy-and-fair but the reality is that capitalism is brutal, tough and cruel.

Capitalism forces efficiency and through that invention and progress.

That's why the West dominates the world whereas the Russians couldn't stand the pace and the Chinese had to become capitalists to begin to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      Why is it illegal? It's simply a fee which reduces the suppliers margin.
                      It is or should be made explicitly illegal because it's abuse of dominant position held by those supermarkets - that's the only reason they can get away with charging those fees, the fact that they do is factual proof that they have dominant position that got abused. If the current law does not make it explicit then it should be made so.

Comment

Working...
                      X