• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you'e been meaning to get a mechanical watch serviced, now would be a good time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you'e been meaning to get a mechanical watch serviced, now would be a good time

Just taken one of my pocket watches to an old watch mender in Newmarket, and he told me the FSH ( Federation of Swiss Horologists ) recently announced that spare parts for old mechanical watches will no longer be manufactured in Switzerland after the end of this year.

So if you have a decent quality old wrist watch or pocket watch kicking around that needs mending or servicing, and have been meaning to get round to this sometime, I would get cracking.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Did they all get iWatches then?

Comment

Also, if you have an old Omega watch that may need spare parts in the future, note that they may be getting even pricier pretty soon...

"Omega, now owned by Swatch, has had a long history of watch parts distribution through a network of wholesale watch parts distributors in the USA. Historically, and even to this day, Omega SA in Bienne has sold spare parts using a network of agents inside and outside of Switzerland. However, the Swatch Group has announced that at the end of 2015 they will stop all worldwide distribution of parts all Distributors of Parts. Omega for decades has appointed several Swiss companies as the exclusive worldwide distributors for Omega parts. Inside the USA we have sold and distributed genuine Omega parts thru the official Omega Agents of Norman M. Morris Corporation, which was in charge of Omega inside the USA for many decades."

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
        Also, if you have an old Omega watch that may need spare parts in the future, note that they may be getting even pricier pretty soon...

"Omega, now owned by Swatch, has had a long history of watch parts distribution through a network of wholesale watch parts distributors in the USA. Historically, and even to this day, Omega SA in Bienne has sold spare parts using a network of agents inside and outside of Switzerland. However, the Swatch Group has announced that at the end of 2015 they will stop all worldwide distribution of parts all Distributors of Parts. Omega for decades has appointed several Swiss companies as the exclusive worldwide distributors for Omega parts. Inside the USA we have sold and distributed genuine Omega parts thru the official Omega Agents of Norman M. Morris Corporation, which was in charge of Omega inside the USA for many decades."
        I think they're stopping supplying ETA movements to other non swatch brands too.

Comment

Is this just swatch and omega or does it include my Blancpain Villeret as well??
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Is this just swatch and omega or does it include my Blancpain Villeret as well??
            I think it's pretty much all Swatch brands.

Comment

No such problem with my genuine Owega....

Comment

So to sum up - all mugs who bought overpriced genuine Swiss watches will now have to throw them away when they break down?

Comment

Well at least there is going to be a ton of vintage brietling straps in eBay next year.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"You merely look after it for the next generation. Or until we discontinue support, whichever is sooner."

Comment

Working...
                    X