• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition to get the gov to reconsider the dividend tax changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
      I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.
        Perhaps you can't do what I said.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If we get to 1 Million?

"Black Mirror" The National Anthem (TV Episode 2011) - IMDb

Squeal little piggy?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'd rather the agency/IR35 proposal got vetoed. We get very good tax breaks at the moment and while I'd know what to do better with 2k than gorgeous George, it's pin money compared to having to go inside IR35 and the expenses scheme.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

name, postcode and email go straight to HMRC for IR35 investigation

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Correct. The proles will see it as a tax on high earners, which it is. Essentially it's about us paying our fair share. We should. But hitting us three times isn't fair so let's not go overboard on the one that will affect many of us the least.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Correct. The proles will see it as a tax on high earners, which it is. Essentially it's about us paying our fair share. We should. But hitting us three times isn't fair so let's not go overboard on the one that will affect many of us the least.
                  Clever, really, for them to do all 3 at the same time - we're too busy complaining about T&S and IR35 to even bother challenging div tax - if the only thing the budget did negatively for contractors was the dividend tax, would we be so acceptant?

Comment

Most contractors who have done the maths know that they're onto a good thing as things are currently, the dividend tax actually does make things fairer and complaining "us high earners now have to pay as much tax as permies" is probably dangerous boat-rocking.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      Clever, really, for them to do all 3 at the same time - we're too busy complaining about T&S and IR35 to even bother challenging div tax - if the only thing the budget did negatively for contractors was the dividend tax, would we be so acceptant?
                      Yes. I think we get away with paying a much smaller amount of tax than we probably should. That said, it was the previous exploitation of the tax rules that ushered in IR35 that has gotten us to where we are. We're far better off than a lot of people out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X