• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Petition to get the gov to reconsider the dividend tax changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

    The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

      The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
      I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.

      Comment


        #13
        Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I thought the 5K dividend band is within the existing income bands, not in addition to it? That's what makes it rather nasty.
        Perhaps you can't do what I said.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

        Comment


          #14
          If we get to 1 Million?


          "Black Mirror" The National Anthem (TV Episode 2011) - IMDb


          Squeal little piggy?
          "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

          I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

          Comment


            #15
            I'd rather the agency/IR35 proposal got vetoed. We get very good tax breaks at the moment and while I'd know what to do better with 2k than gorgeous George, it's pin money compared to having to go inside IR35 and the expenses scheme.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

            Comment


              #16
              name, postcode and email go straight to HMRC for IR35 investigation

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                WHS. You can earn £10K as salary plus £5K as dividends largely tax free. How much does any of this affect anyone on a low income?

                The petition is a waste of time for sure, but if you're going to have a petition it would be better if it wasn't based on a lie.
                Correct. The proles will see it as a tax on high earners, which it is. Essentially it's about us paying our fair share. We should. But hitting us three times isn't fair so let's not go overboard on the one that will affect many of us the least.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Correct. The proles will see it as a tax on high earners, which it is. Essentially it's about us paying our fair share. We should. But hitting us three times isn't fair so let's not go overboard on the one that will affect many of us the least.
                  Clever, really, for them to do all 3 at the same time - we're too busy complaining about T&S and IR35 to even bother challenging div tax - if the only thing the budget did negatively for contractors was the dividend tax, would we be so acceptant?

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Most contractors who have done the maths know that they're onto a good thing as things are currently, the dividend tax actually does make things fairer and complaining "us high earners now have to pay as much tax as permies" is probably dangerous boat-rocking.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

                    Comment


                      #20
                      Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      Clever, really, for them to do all 3 at the same time - we're too busy complaining about T&S and IR35 to even bother challenging div tax - if the only thing the budget did negatively for contractors was the dividend tax, would we be so acceptant?
                      Yes. I think we get away with paying a much smaller amount of tax than we probably should. That said, it was the previous exploitation of the tax rules that ushered in IR35 that has gotten us to where we are. We're far better off than a lot of people out there.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X