• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More doom - dividend allownce is inside tax bands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    so unlike what Platypus there is a lot to stop contractors from following the same setup
    There is nothing to stop you setting up an offshore company which owns the shares in yourco and takes all the dividends. Anyone can do that. I don't think I deserve a facepalm.

The problem is getting the money back in to the UK while minimising tax. If you are a non-dom you can legally avoid paying tax on your foreign income. If you're not, then you need to pay income tax on it or evade tax altogether, which of course I could never advocate. I did read some years ago that some people did this by either bring cash back in to the country or getting their offshore bank to issue them a debit card and they put all spending on that. However I believe that the latter is no longer passible because Visa and mastercard share information with tax authorities and you'll get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      How do you work that out ?
      Maffs
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Maffs
        Clearly not your strong point then.....
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Clearly not your strong point then.....
          It's ironic to call someone stupid when you're too stupid to understand them.

Do you really need me to spell it out for you? Come on, even a tester should have enough brains for this.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Cheers all. So not just late but a week late So who voted these bastards in then?
            Not me but my MP is a Tory......

Regardless how I voted my vote would be wasted in my constituency.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's ironic to call someone stupid when you're too stupid to understand them.

Do you really need me to spell it out for you? Come on, even a tester should have enough brains for this.
              First, I am not or never have been, a tester.

And yes, I do need you to spell it out. How does a percentage based dividend tax hit a contracting business harder than any other business ?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                There is nothing to stop you setting up an offshore company which owns the shares in yourco and takes all the dividends. Anyone can do that. I don't think I deserve a facepalm.

The problem is getting the money back in to the UK while minimising tax. If you are a non-dom you can legally avoid paying tax on your foreign income. If you're not, then you need to pay income tax on it or evade tax altogether, which of course I could never advocate. I did read some years ago that some people did this by either bring cash back in to the country or getting their offshore bank to issue them a debit card and they put all spending on that. However I believe that the latter is no longer passible because Visa and mastercard share information with tax authorities and you'll get caught.
                Fair point I revoke the facepalm, thanks for the explanation
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

First, I am not or never have been, a tester.

And yes, I do need you to spell it out. How does a percentage based dividend tax hit a contracting business harder than any other business ?
                  Agreed
                  I've heard other business people who aren't IT or knowledge workers complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Agreed
                    I've heard other business people who aren't IT or knowledge workers complain about it.
                    Crrect. As well as having a 'contracting' LTD, I have two others, unconnected to contracting. the effect is exactly the same.

If Doohg The Headcase was talking about T&S, there is a difference, but the dividend tax hits every small incorporated business in exactly the same way, regardless of sector.

Comment

Crrect. As well as having a 'contracting' LTD, I have two others, unconnected to contracting. the effect is exactly the same.

If Doohg The Headcase was talking about T&S, there is a difference, but the dividend tax hits every small incorporated business in exactly the same way, regardless of sector.
                      It hits everyone who gets their income from dividends regardless of their situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X