• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK jobless total rises by 25,000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not good news considering analysts are predicting the first base rate rise in Feb 2016:

UK jobless total rises by 25,000 - BBC News

Anyone who thinks interest rates will rise before 2020 is mad.

The issue is disparity between rich and poor. And that is growing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Yep.

Comment

Can't George start another property boom and print some money. We can have the lowest productivity in the EU with some pretend Growth and laud him for it.

Comment

We might have a crash even without interest rate rises.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Related news 1: Jaguar Land Rover urged to give assurances over 36,000 British jobs | Business | The Guardian

Related news 2: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-...022619060.html

The last thing Carney wants to do is to make the pound stronger than what it is currently... raising interest rates is therefore off the table for the foreseeable IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
              Related news 1: Jaguar Land Rover urged to give assurances over 36,000 British jobs | Business | The Guardian

Related news 2: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-...022619060.html

The last thing Carney wants to do is to make the pound stronger than what it is currently... raising interest rates is therefore off the table for the foreseeable IMHO.
              Indian company giving assurances on British jobs. Those workers are ****ed then.

Comment

I'd say the issue is more the policies promoting easy credit, which cause it, as opposed to the symptom. Anyway, we'll probably see the Fed holding off on any meaningful rate rises until the next U.S. election is over and the BOE doing the same, with some occasionally hawkish commentary to make it seem like it's around the corner. I fully expect any rate increases in the near future to be minimal and insignificant, far below where market conditions would warrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  I'd say the issue is more the policies promoting easy credit, which cause it, as opposed to the symptom. Anyway, we'll probably see the Fed holding off on any meaningful rate rises until the next U.S. election is over and the BOE doing the same, with some occasionally hawkish commentary to make it seem like it's around the corner. I fully expect any rate increases in the near future to be minimal and insignificant, far below where market conditions would warrant.
                  I guess the smart money is on this. OTOH, I do wonder about Yellen. She's painted as this uber-dove, but I don't think that's right. Honestly, I wouldn't be stunned by a rate rise this year (September if the August NFP comes in really strong). Despite what they say about being data dependent, I think that's only partly true, and they're starting to realize that we're pretty far into the business cycle. They have feck all ammo when the next crash happens (look at the diminishing returns from successive QE, and none of that has been unwound yet). At some point, I think there's a cross-over between crappy economic data and having to do something in order to get to a position where they can cut rates when the next crash happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    I guess the smart money is on this. OTOH, I do wonder about Yellen. She's painted as this uber-dove, but I don't think that's right. Honestly, I wouldn't be stunned by a rate rise this year (September if the August NFP comes in really strong). Despite what they say about being data dependent, I think that's only partly true, and they're starting to realize that we're pretty far into the business cycle. They have feck all ammo when the next crash happens (look at the diminishing returns from successive QE, and none of that has been unwound yet). At some point, I think there's a cross-over between crappy economic data and having to do something in order to get to a position where they can cut rates when the next crash happens.
                    Predictions for the next economic crash?

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 12 August 2015, 12:04.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X