• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends beyond £5k taxed wef 2016!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A daft question, but where are the break points for 7.5, 32.5 and 38.1% dividend tax?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      You forget the 10,600, 11,000 and 12,500 personal allowances for various years, and the lift of the higher rate from 42385 to 43000 up to 50,000 eventually
      Can't wait for someone to do some real calculations on this.
      Not everybody get those personal allowances. Fooking tories did not even have the decency to fix that

Full text of budget - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Could be worse, if you can keep your combined divi and salary payments below the Higher rate (£42,385 atm) threshold then yes you will pay more, but it's not catastrophic. 7.5% rather than 32.5%.

What it will lead to is more income shifting with partners taking divi's up to the limit as well as this will still be the best way to minimise tax due.

NI allowance is going up to £3000 as well, so there may be some room for mitigation based on that.
        If you are in high rate threshold it works out at £2,400 extra income tax than you were paying under the old system. Not brilliant but could definitely be worse!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
          If you are in high rate threshold it works out at £2,400 extra income tax than you were paying under the old system. Not brilliant but could will definitely be worse once the concept is accepted as mainstream when they can vary the rates any time they want to!
          FTFY

It seems HMRC have their wish, after years of banging on about PSCs, everyone including the accountants, journos and even contractors have accepted the definition and classification of PSC without any legality and can now legislate without touching close companies legislation and peeing off the other SME and family businesses.

It's time it went to court.
          Last edited by tractor; 8 July 2015, 14:06.

Comment

FFS, tax credit should have been the exact amount of corp tax the company paid (plus NICs plus income tax generated from employment), ffs, I blame dirty tax dodgers and their schemes for this removal of dividend tax credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              Even on the higher rate, 32.5% + 20% corporation tax is 52.5%,
              it is actually 46%, and if we considere 5K taxfree - just below 44%

Comment

Contractors all need to increase their rates slightly.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Even on the higher rate, 32.5% + 20% corporation tax is 52.5%, still less than 40% + 13.5% company NI ...
                  Wow a 1% risk premium for running your own business ...generous ... lol...

I wonder if this will apply to partnerships, LLC's etc ... Also will be interesting to see what our esteemed professional cover organisation IPSE has to say. Nice work you total
                  32.5% of 80%. But still, not great.

Comment

Even on the higher rate, 32.5% + 20% corporation tax is 52.5%, still less than 40% + 13.5% company NI ...
                    Wow a 1% risk premium for running your own business ...generous ... lol...

I wonder if this will apply to partnerships, LLC's etc ... Also will be interesting to see what our esteemed professional cover organisation IPSE has to say. Nice work you total
                    It is 32.5% on dividend, i.e. the 80% left after paying 20% CT, so is actually 40% DT + 20% CT = 60%

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      A daft question, but where are the break points for 7.5, 32.5 and 38.1% dividend tax?
                      It will folow the personal tax bands so

£0 - £5000 = 0%
                      £5000 - £43000 = 7.5%
                      £43,000 - £150,000 = 32.5%
                      £150,000+ = 38.1%
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X