• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has some of you succeeded into bigger business from contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    out of curiosity , how well did it go for them?
    Wonderful, you should set out and do it now.

I recommend you start employing managers, directors and staff and get say £500k in startup funding from your bank. Go for it, what can possibly go wrong for such an awesome individual as yourself?

Comment

out of curiosity , how well did it go for them?
      Well enough for me to only randomly see them.

On a more serious note like all the people I've met with employees this is what they complain about most.

If you can't be bothered to get an accountant then I wouldn't look at hiring employees or even subcontractors as there is loads of red tape around that.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Moved to General

So now I can call you the muppet that you...

From the top:-

Firstly you need to learn to write proper English

Has some of you succeeded into bigger business from contracting? should be
        "Have any of you succeeded in creating a bigger business from contracting"

Then you need to learn the art of delegation. Given your inability to find a decent accountant we all known that if you were ever to pass the first hurdle, the second one would be impossible...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Well enough for me to only randomly see them.

On a more serious note like all the people I've met with employees this is what they complain about most.

If you can't be bothered to get an accountant then I wouldn't look at hiring employees or even subcontractors as there is loads of red tape around that.
          Nah, read this socktroll's his other posts, he's far too good to need an accountant or rational advice, he should get things rolling now, by Christmas he should be well along on his second million.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            ....but I can't see the incentive to develop a consultancy, for example.
            In my case, family reasons, but that wouldn't be true for most people.

Other reasons:
            1. Leveraging a reputation. If you have a great reputation, and are willing to involve yourself in design and/or oversight of the work of junior consultants, you can bill them at a much higher rate than they could get otherwise. Better salary for them AND profit for you, and often with not that much personal involvement.
            2. Providing better value for money. We're currently on our third and fourth projects in three months. Only one needed my personal involvement more than 50%. I can delegate other parts to someone who costs half (or less) what I cost, give the client a better price, and still pay people well and make a nice profit. The client still gets my expertise on the part of the job where it is needed.

Of course, that stuff is harder if everything has to be on site.

Comment

Yes, I made it real big by contracting with other contractors' wives/GFs/mistresses when the said contractors were away from home for weeks.

In fact I made it so big that the business made mine too big to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Yes, I made it real big by contracting with other contractors' wives/GFs/mistresses when the said contractors were away from home for weeks.

In fact I made it so big that the business made mine too big to handle.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnGsz3djiM
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The one thing WordIsBond missed out is that it also requires moving away from agents to either direct sells by yourself, paying someone to do it or networking...

Looking at the non agency things I'm looking at for the longer term its a lot of work with no immediate only potential income, long lead times, requires building partnerships and has upfront costs...

The tender I'm currently working on (its a long term project ) is going to cost me £2k to get properly prepared... And that is money I need to spend on a 20% chance of getting the work...
                  Last edited by eek; 20 June 2015, 08:34.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi, that question bothers me since the first thought about contracting I started plaguing CUK.
                    Why in hells name do I create all these unimaginative, irritating, dull sockpuppets?
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      Wonderful, you should set out and do it now.

I recommend you start employing managers, directors and staff and get say £500k in startup funding from your bank. Go for it, what can possibly go wrong for such an awesome individual as yourself?
                      You have a problem with my posts idiot? Do you think I want to read your stupid comments ? Go blow yourself and don't read it if you don't like it

Comment

Working...
                      X