• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This migrant thing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Worries me because none of our EU leaders are brave enough to do anything about it. Either welcome them and assimilate them into the EU or send them away. Which is it?

For me the Australians have the right answer Australia’s zero tolerance of migrants: A lesson for Italy | Ezra Levant
    15 are being sent back now, have a read on how your government acts: Clandestine Migrants (Harwich): 8 Jun 2015: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

15 illegals sent back. Wow! Only another 600,000+ to go then.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And that figure (by the LSE) was for 2007. Probably gone up a bit since then. Doesn't include any granted asylum or leave to remain either.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          And that figure (by the LSE) was for 2007. Probably gone up a bit since then. Doesn't include any granted asylum or leave to remain either.
          But they will be gone in approximately 42 years if they get deported. Using the LSE figure divided by the Telegraph report gives me that 'rough' number

(The Telegraph article though doesn't state if those illegals that were arrested were then deported, shoddy reporting...)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

As long as Europe continues to provide the ferry service, then they will continue to jump into anything that floats knowing that the probabilities are in their favour for getting picked up and taken straight to Italy. As this hand-wringing "rescue effort" is ramped up, the better the chances of being picked up and so the more will come. We should be picking them up and taking them straight back to a North African beach. Once it is known that this is what will happen, then this flood will start to abate.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
              Don't give 'em ideas!

Once they get an EU passport they have the legal right to reside anywhere in the EU.

London twinned with Mogadishu
              Mogadishu is a great place these days, according to Alex from Brighton:

Me and my wife came to stay here last year, What a fantastic hotel the staff were very kind and the hotel was very clean. Mogadishu is a great city all year round due to its proximity to the equator insuring its always warm. As for night life this is where Mogadishu comes in to its element now often described as the Ibiza of Africa!!! Admittedly Alcohol, playing amplified music and men and women congregating together in public is illegal this really does not dampen the party vibe!!
              I'm coming back in November with my 3 year old daughter to show the true East African gem of Somalia
              TripAdvisor - hotels in Mogadishu

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Don't give 'em ideas!

Once they get an EU passport they have the legal right to reside anywhere in the EU.

London twinned with Mogadishu
                As they only get resident papers to move to another EU state, and the UK and Ireland aren't in the Schengan agreement I wouldn't worry.

Though the sensible thing would be to be like Germany and ensure you only took those who are young adults with higher education in areas that are useful to the economy.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  No compassion? Migrants are people and making very dangerous journeys not only for a better economic life but to save their lives.

What do you suggest is done then?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

One world, One people, No Borders.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

My missus is teaching a few Libyan kids (among other nationalities) GCSE science at the mo. They barely know enough English to be able to ask to go to the loo, but this morning she's doing her utmost to teach them the concepts of enzymes. Surely intensive English Language lessons should be the first educational step for the people who wind up here?
                      Last edited by I just need to test it; 10 June 2015, 08:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X