• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the garage...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I knew I recognised your sig but it took me a couple of moments to get it.

You must be almost as old as I am. I bought it when it came out, and I still have it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I knew I recognised your sig but it took me a couple of moments to get it.

You must be almost as old as I am. I bought it when it came out, and I still have it.
      Sorry to tell you that it came out three years before I was born.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Discs don't warp. They just don't.
        EXACTLY my point. But cheap tulip trying to stop a big heavy old car like a SEdona 7 seater will warp!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          EXACTLY my point. But cheap tulip trying to stop a big heavy old car like a SEdona 7 seater will warp!
          Kia Sedona [emoji102]
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Why do discs need to be replaced?
            Because they can break.

Am I being ripped off?
            Depends. What did you wear to the garage?

Comment

For new tyres.

They tell me the discs and pads need doing too.

Why do discs need to be replaced? Am I being ripped off?
              You are being ripped off.

Standard trick by those chain tyre places.

Independent places will refuse to change tyres that they think don't need changing even if you know they only have a few 100 miles left on them and don't have time 2 weeks later to get them changed when you know you have done the miles. You actually have to beg them to change them.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 9 June 2015, 22:51.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Do kwikfit still do breaks for the life of the car?

If so even if you are being ripped off, keep going back to them and in the long run it won't be too bad.

I know I probably pay a little over the odds for work on my car, but its a tool of the trade, so I would rather that then take the risk that I am laid up at the side of the road one day missing a days billing
                Kwik Fit managed, when changing pads & discs on my car, to put two left hand pads in a single calliper. Other half didn't notice enough to think of it and very next mot needed new pads and discs again.

Apart from the fact it could of killed someone.

Comment

Disks wear to the pads and both are sacrificial these days. They are designed to do this, since asbestos was removed from the brake pads. The steel that they use now for the disks is softer to account for this. In the past you could have the disks skimmed, but this is no longer feasible.

They are cheap if you buy non-OEM. I have an aforementioned German car and had them all replaced using Pagid disks and brakes and the parts were less than £260 all round. £70 labour to have them done at my house by a local Polish mechanic.

Win win. Next time you need work done on your car 'Skipper, let me know, since you are local to me?

Posted & Edited from Gili Trawangal, Indonesia...🌏
                  Last edited by Scruff; 10 June 2015, 01:22.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Because they can break.
                    At a major junction I go through every day, there was a large chunk of brake disc lying in the fourth lane one day - just under half the disc. Could only have got there through a disc shattering as somebody came to a halt at the lights

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      At a major junction I go through every day, there was a large chunk of brake disc lying in the fourth lane one day - just under half the disc. Could only have got there through a disc shattering as somebody came to a halt at the lights
                      I cracked both front disks on a trackday once. It made a horrible vibration when you braked, but they still worked. I think you'd have to go a long way ignoring vibrations before they'd actually break in two.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X