• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who on CUK is voting Labour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Already voted Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      You're missing the point completely. Voting on principles that you believe in doesn't make you a hypocrite.
      It makes you ******* stupid is what it does.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It makes you ******* stupid is what it does.
        I think you're confusing the definition of the word hypocrite.

If someone has principles and there is a party that backs those principles, then to not vote for them would by hypocritical. If you have no principles, then that's a different matter - but to have principles and to vote for the party which supports those principles is neither hypocritical nor stupid.

So - do you vote for the party that doesn't align with your principles, or do you have no principles?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I think you're confusing the definition of the word hypocrite.

If someone has principles and there is a party that backs those principles, then to not vote for them would by hypocritical. If you have no principles, then that's a different matter - but to have principles and to vote for the party which supports those principles is neither hypocritical nor stupid.

So - do you vote for the party that doesn't align with your principles, or do you have no principles?
          I vote Tory.

Does that answer your question.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You realise it's MF, right?

Comment

My pen did tentatively hover over the box next to the Labour candidate in 1997 but I was dissuaded by a sudden thought that my right hand may wither and drop off if I were to perform such a deed.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I vote Tory.

Does that answer your question.
                Not really - I guess it's the latter, though.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Any contractor using legal tax avoidance techniques and preaching from the moral high ground is an ocean going hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
                    Any contractor using legal tax avoidance techniques and preaching from the moral high ground is an ocean going hypocrite.
                    That can only be true if you feel what we do is morally wrong. I use a Ltd company to supply consultancy services to a range of clients and I pay the tax that is required by both the "spirit" and the letter of the law. There's nothing underhand, there's no "scheme", there's no "cleverness" - I merely do as suggested on the HMRC website.

I also paid more tax last year than I did the year before as a permie. As I wouldn't have been able to earn this much as a permie last year, that's a net win for the country is it not?

Either way, while many of you may simply be permanent staff in disguise I'm not and I have absolutely nothing to feel ashamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      That can only be true if you feel what we do is morally wrong. I use a Ltd company to supply consultancy services to a range of clients and I pay the tax that is required by both the "spirit" and the letter of the law. There's nothing underhand, there's no "scheme", there's no "cleverness" - I merely do as suggested on the HMRC website.

I also paid more tax last year than I did the year before as a permie. As I wouldn't have been able to earn this much as a permie last year, that's a net win for the country is it not?

Either way, while many of you may simply be permanent staff in disguise I'm not and I have absolutely nothing to feel ashamed about.
                      Well bully for you. I am sure Philip Green and gary Barlow , HSBC feel the same
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X