• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is losing to a Labour minority government the best outcome for the Tories?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But, there seem to be real divisions between Labour/SNP - SNP might allow Labour to get into power but it looks like that would leave a very fragile setup in place, which might not last long and could trigger another general election in short order.
    I don't buy into the argument that there will be a quick general election, because the current coalition changed the rules completely.

In order to have another general election, the government needs to lose a vote of no confidence. Everyone then gets 14 days to try to form another government without the need for an election.

The government cannot call an election themselves without getting 2/3 of the house in favour of it. The government call a vote of no confidence in itself and then win that vote, to give themselves 14 days to form a new government or have a general election, but that's unprecedented to call for no confidence in yourself.

So we could end up with a Labour or Conservative government because they command the support of the house, that loses the Queen's speech, loses their budget, but cannot be removed from office because there is no incentive to do so - and then the opposition parties can say "they've done nothing" and hope that the public don't realise why not (seems to work for the republicans in America).

To be honest, a few years without any massive changes might even be what the country needs from here.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      Don't believe for a minute that Milipede won't do a deal with the SNP. He gets to be PM with the help of the SNP.
      I agree BUT I think it will be a very fragile alliance unlike ConDem or LibLab.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just imagine the SNP have influence and actually help force Labour to bring in policies that are popular with the electorate all over the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          SNP voters, Con voters, even UKIP voters I can understand , but who the **** would trust millipede to run a govt?

Must be the utmost cretins voting Labour after the last lot of Labour s pretty much destroyed the UK in everyway....
          Hmm let me see, Labour have some hard core voters who will never switch.

Public sector workers, people on benefits, single mums, minimum wage slaves like supermarket shelf stackers etc etc.

They all gain massively by Labour coming to power. It does not matter if the country gets ****ed, as long as they win.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

But if Cameron doesn't become PM chances are he'll stand down, and then who will be the next Tory PM?

Vote BORIS!!!!!!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

As long as they don't make independence or removing nuclear weapons conditions then Lab-SNP look more similar than Con-Dem ever did.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                Just imagine the SNP have influence and actually help force Labour to bring in policies that are popular with the electorate all over the UK.

Scotland. FTFY

SNP and Labout will result in billions poured into Scotland using some excuse or other. If anyone is not in public sector yet, more jobs will be created so they can do some desk jobs doing pen pushing red tape jobs.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

As long as they don't make independence or removing nuclear weapons conditions then Lab-SNP look more similar than Con-Dem ever did.
                  True, but both would be massive sticking points, arguably show stoppers from both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Scotland. FTFY

SNP and Labout will result in billions poured into Scotland using some excuse or other. If anyone is not in public sector yet, more jobs will be created so they can do some desk jobs doing pen pushing red tape jobs.
                    No, the influence will be all over the UK as this is a Westminster election.

You really should try widening your reading material away from the Dail Fail.

Comment

75% of Labour PPCs are against renewing Trident so it would be easy to put pressure on Milipede to scrap the next part of funding Trident from the budget.

Comment

Working...
                      X