• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can women play chess?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I know just one chess professional who is by chance a woman. So yes they can play Chess!

Jovanka Houska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Look up the Polgar sisters. Their father said geniuses are made not born.

All female GMs.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

How come Nigel Short knows so much about girls?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          The interesting thing from reading that article is that there is a women's chess championship.

Why?
          You clearly didn't read the article properly as it states why.

Interestingly see the countries where the female chess players in the article come from.

Anyway it seems wealthier Western women don't want to play chess or see a social disadvantage in doing so.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Funnily enough I once spent a couple of hours dressed as a golem playing chess with a woman in a field. We ended up with a draw due to insufficient material and I was lucky to get that.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              How come Nigel Short knows so much about girls?
              He's a hot-shot chess player, he gets all the babes.

Reading things he's said, I'm not sure if this should be described as sexism. If I say "girls aren't as strong as boys" then the fact you can find a few girls who are stronger than 99.9% of boys doesn't disprove my hypothesis. As Short himself said (paraphrase) "I'm not as good as the best female player of all time. What does that prove, exactly?"
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                He's a hot-shot chess player, he gets all the babes.

Reading things he's said, I'm not sure if this should be described as sexism. If I say "girls aren't as strong as boys" then the fact you can find a few girls who are stronger than 99.9% of boys doesn't disprove my hypothesis. As Short himself said (paraphrase) "I'm not as good as the best female player of all time. What does that prove, exactly?"
                He should have kept his mouth shut. He is someone that budding chess masters look up to.It concerns me that some male players will not take women seriously and they will make sexist comments.

I can't see my daughter playing chess as she spends most of her spare time doing her hair. But if she wants to play chess I will support her all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  He should have kept his mouth shut. He is someone that budding chess masters look up to.It concerns me that some male players will not take women seriously and they will make sexist comments.
                  Treating women players badly at tournaments is unacceptable, but I don't know that what HE said is sexist.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Treating women players badly at tournaments is unacceptable, but I don't know that what HE said is sexist.
                    It was bound to be reported as sexist though. And as a person who young people he should set an example. Just don't get me started on footballers!

Comment

Fair point that any comment on male Vs female players would be pounced on as sexist. It's a shame most of the people doing so are too uneducated to understand that just because there are good female chess players doesn't mean women are better, worse, or equal at inherent chess ability.

Comment

Working...
                      X