• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying Lessons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Who on here has got the license? How long did it take, any advice?
    I got my private license 20 years ago in NZ. Haven't used it for 19. Scarily enough, it's a lifetime licence, so I still have it... but I would need to do some refresher lessons and a new medical before picking up where I left off (in NZ).

At the time the minimum number of flying hours before you could get the licence was 50 and you had get through at least five exams plus the flight test.

Great fun and I learnt lots. Expensive hobby. My old man always pulled my leg about getting 'a speck of dust in the carburettor'.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
      I got my private license 20 years ago in NZ. Haven't used it for 19. Scarily enough, it's a lifetime licence, so I still have it... but I would need to do some refresher lessons and a new medical before picking up where I left off (in NZ).

At the time the minimum number of flying hours before you could get the licence was 50 and you had get through at least five exams plus the flight test.

Great fun and I learnt lots. Expensive hobby. My old man always pulled my leg about getting 'a speck of dust in the carburettor'.
      Sounds awesome. Can we make it look like an accident? Need details.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Toastiness View Post
        If you don't mind being limited to a 2 seater and only being able to fly during the daytime, you should consider a 3-axis microlight license.
        A decent microlight aircraft like the Ikarus C42 is far cheaper to own and operate than your average Cessna and with similar capabilities.
        Before I lost my license I was working towards a microlight conversion training on an Ikarus C42, very nice 3 axis aeroplane and definitley affordable but lack of artificial horizon was at first a bit odd. Only a fair weather flyer but worked very well out of a grass airfield (my experience being more used to major Scottish airports and in the past Farnborough and Blackbushe).

I miss flying more than anything else. Everybody should at least have a trial lesson just for the experience, my first ever flight was at fifteen and could scarcely believe the instructor handed control of the plane to me for most of the flight, awesome experience for someone too young to legally get behind the wheel of a car. Needless to say I was hooked.

Getting your license requires dedication and money, back in the day I did all sorts of odd jobs to pay for lessons, paper round, washing taxis, cleaning the clubhouse and doing the paperwork for pilots, summers living in a tent in a field near Prestwick airport just so I could hang around the club and cadge flights gaining airmanship skills although not loggable hours. I could go on about this same as any passion.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I got my licence 20 years ago. Was based up in Shetlands and nothing much to do. Loved MS Flight Sims and was interested in flying but had a real fear of flying. So one day, got a trial flight in Sumburgh, remember thinking how similar the panel looked like the flight sim but this small C152 was rocking in the high Shetland winds and I had second thoughts. Still, the instructor took off and I had gone quite green and he thought he had a puker. It was only when I took control I felt better - the fear was all a control thing and unfortunately I'd fallen in love with flying.

Went on to get an instrument rating in Biggin and then a multi-engined rating in Denham. The multi was all about flying a twin on one engine. About 8 hours course.

The Trevor Thom books were ample to pass the exams - a basic understanding of maths is all you need. I think there's some Human Resources or Factors mumbo jumbo in it now but I imagine it's pretty easy.

It's a very costly hobby, especially if you migrate to twins. I was paying about £360/hour renting out a Seneca 200T Turbo and after one very costly divorce, have pretty much out-qualified myself from a hobby that I loved very much.

Once you've got your licence, if you stick to group share in a single engined aircraft you can keep the costs down, otherwise you can rent an aircraft from the local flying club. You will need to do a check flight - go up with an instructor to make sure you can fly the thing. If it's a new type of aircraft you will need to pay to learn to fly it with an instructor. This is different from cars and bikes.

A couple of points to remember:-

1. You need to pass a Class III medical - not difficult but if you're an old git with a dodgy ticker you may fail the heart thing. And it's a repeatable medical.

2. It cost me just under £10k for a basic licence back in '90s. If you do decide to take it up, you may need to do more than the 45 hours min training.

3. Once you get your licence you need to do 12 hours a year to maintain it, but if you can only afford the min hours, you won't enjoy it as you'll be flustered in the cockpit trying to remember checklists and you won't be particularly safe. Also some clubs have a rule that says if you haven't flown for 28 days, you need to have a mandatory check flight. Instructor rates are more costly than solo hire rates.

4. Don't pay up front for your lessons as clubs can go bust quicker than a Suity flounce. PAYG.

5. You can wear glasses. There's some restrictions in night flying if you're colourblind.

I'd recommend having a few trial lessons - they should count for your training hours. If you don't like it, or you don't "get it", then nothing much lost. If you love it, then be prepared to find all your cash going into this expensive hobby!

Best time of my life to date was flying a Piper Seminole twin over Western Australia for three months. It was simply awesome and I'll never forget it to my dying day. Neither will my accountant.

If you want more, let me know... this is all from memory and based upon experiences some time ago.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

HyperD!

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Or just do this for tulips 'n giggles

Fly a MiG Fighter Jet Over Russia. MiG flights, MiG-29 Fly a Fighter Jet
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
              X