• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Saywhatnow?
    I just list them, no dates apart from the main heading which says when I started working for my company.

I.e.,

Widget Builder, My Co Ltd - April 1995 - Present
    Client Co, London
    -Built a million widgets
    -Optimised widget building process
    Client Co, Manchester
    -Built 500 widgets
    -Designed new widget QA process

Or whatever. I'm not saying it's perfect or the only way to do it, but it works for me and nobody actually seems to care about the dates.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      It'd take a lot for me to leave a contract early (even with my perfectly legal contracted notice period).

I prefer to finish contracts, from a professional point of view, I don't like to disappoint clients, I prefer to finish projects, and I want to avoid anyone mentioning my name in a bad light (jmo21 let us down and left early, or the agency being annoyed they have lost their commission etc)

All that being said, a really big rate hike would probably get me to do it, and 45% might well be it. Maybe if it a contract was really awful (project, people) I'd certainly consider leaving as well, but that's never happened to me so far.
      You care about the agencies feelings? Why?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Very interesting. It sounds like you are happy to throw the "professionalism" away for money!

Comment

Do not jump if you need the longevity on your CV.

This is me VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          Longevity? How about when a gig is only for 3 months absolute end of. No reflection on quality of work etc it just only needs contractor for 3 months?

Yes I know some agents act like bellends and assume you either bailed or got the boot because you werent there longer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I've never seen it worded like that - effectively it says "here's your notice period but we can change it to anything we want without any reason". In which case, why bother with having a termination clause in there at all?

The only reason I can think of is that if it said they could terminate immediately, people might not sign it - and by doing it this way, people might not notice what they have signed up to.

Even without 8.3 and 8.4, it's a moot point anyway - there will be something in there that says you get paid on production of a signed timesheet, or that you only get paid for work you do, so they's just say "no work".

I'm more surprised to see something that gives you a right to terminate, though - can't remember the last contract I had that gave me any right to walk out the door early.
            Like having a contract that says we'll pay you £10K per day but we have the right to change this with no notice. Walk in day one, they tell you its changed to £10 per day.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Longevity? How about when a gig is only for 3 months absolute end of. No reflection on quality of work etc it just only needs contractor for 3 months?

Yes I know some agents act like bellends and assume you either bailed or got the boot because you werent there longer.
              All
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

All
                Wasn't 3 months the longest of your contracts?

Don't see your updated CV on bengered these days ....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Very interesting. It sounds like you are happy to throw the "professionalism" away for money!
                  watch the agents or clients professionalism when there is no cash!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    watch the agents or clients professionalism when there is no cash!
                    Spot on. When client decides they need to can they will without a 2nd thought.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

This pretty much describes the contract I'm on now. I'm dust after 3 months and this was made quite clear at the outset.

I have a Mix of 2 year ,12 months, 9 months & 6 month engagements.

When your a service / project driven contractor, you are their complete a piece of work with an end date. If you complete your project in 3 months this is actually a sign that you can deliver.

unfortunately my chances of delivery on this contract are down to lack of sponsorship and clear direction. I believe I was bought in to platicate the board

Comment

Working...
                      X