• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    How does getting pushed around by his wife feel?
    Now take your hands off your crotch, will you?

Comment

In the contract I'm about to start, this is what I have:

8.1 This Agreement may be terminated prior to the expiry of the Period by the Agency giving 1 weeks’ Notice in writing to the Supplier.

8.2 This Agreement may be terminated prior to the expiry of the Period by the Supplier giving 1 weeks’ notice within the first month, then 4 weeks thereafter in writing to the Agency.

8.3 Notwithstanding clause 8.1 the Agency, on instruction from the Client, reserves the right to change the notice period as set out at clause 8.1.

8.4 Notwithstanding clause 8.1 the Agency reserves the right to change the notice period as set out at clause 8.1.

So basically, it doesn't matter, 1 week is short notice, but even with that, in theory they could kick me out in the same day if they decide to change the notice period...

I guess this is normal?

Comment

It'd take a lot for me to leave a contract early (even with my perfectly legal contracted notice period).

I prefer to finish contracts, from a professional point of view, I don't like to disappoint clients, I prefer to finish projects, and I want to avoid anyone mentioning my name in a bad light (jmo21 let us down and left early, or the agency being annoyed they have lost their commission etc)

All that being said, a really big rate hike would probably get me to do it, and 45% might well be it. Maybe if it a contract was really awful (project, people) I'd certainly consider leaving as well, but that's never happened to me so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          It'd take a lot for me to leave a contract early (even with my perfectly legal contracted notice period).

I prefer to finish contracts, from a professional point of view, I don't like to disappoint clients, I prefer to finish projects, and I want to avoid anyone mentioning my name in a bad light (jmo21 let us down and left early, or the agency being annoyed they have lost their commission etc)

All that being said, a really big rate hike would probably get me to do it, and 45% might well be it. Maybe if it a contract was really awful (project, people) I'd certainly consider leaving as well, but that's never happened to me so far.
          Very interesting. It sounds like you are happy to throw the "professionalism" away for money!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

This is it for me - there's a bigger picture IMHO. I'm on a pretty crap project and I considered not renewing, but it's with a pretty big player and I'd rather suffer on for a few months at a decent enough rate rather than risk upsetting them and them not use me ever again.

That said, they've yet to supply the paperwork and I have made it clear that when it comes to it - the first person who shows me a contract to sign is gonna win.

Comment

Do not jump if you need the longevity on your CV.

This is me VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                FTFY

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  I've found having a project orientated CV has helped me counter this - it makes it more obvious that I'm NOT looking to drag out day to day work for months on end. I like getting in, making it happen and getting out. It helps if you can clearly define what you delivered etc.

I also don't put project dates/timelines on the CV - people sometimes ask me, but I've only had one agent recommend I add dates.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    I've found having a project orientated CV has helped me counter this - it makes it more obvious that I'm NOT looking to drag out day to day work for months on end. I like getting in, making it happen and getting out. It helps if you can clearly define what you delivered etc.

I also don't put project dates/timelines on the CV - people sometimes ask me, but I've only had one agent recommend I add dates.
                    Saywhatnow?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
                      So basically, it doesn't matter, 1 week is short notice, but even with that, in theory they could kick me out in the same day if they decide to change the notice period...

I guess this is normal?
                      I've never seen it worded like that - effectively it says "here's your notice period but we can change it to anything we want without any reason". In which case, why bother with having a termination clause in there at all?

The only reason I can think of is that if it said they could terminate immediately, people might not sign it - and by doing it this way, people might not notice what they have signed up to.

Even without 8.3 and 8.4, it's a moot point anyway - there will be something in there that says you get paid on production of a signed timesheet, or that you only get paid for work you do, so they's just say "no work".

I'm more surprised to see something that gives you a right to terminate, though - can't remember the last contract I had that gave me any right to walk out the door early.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X